Where to go for your graduation meal in Newcastle

But what about Eat4less?

If you’re a final year student at Newcastle,  I’m sure the months have been flying off the calendar in 2016. Before you know it, it’s graduation.

From the 7th to the 20th of July, Newcastle will come alive again with people from both university’s returning for their ceremonies. So why not celebrate in style, and share the city’s wonders with your family and friends? There’s a ton of impressive restaurants throughout Newcastle, and below is a list of just a few:

Silk Room Restaurant

The Silk Room Restaurant is situated on the iconic quayside, and is one of the most popular locations for a graduation meal. So popular in fact, they have released a graduation menu for the 7th year running, complete with a champagne cocktail menu.

The graduation menu includes slow roasted Northumberland lamb shank bathed in red wine and rosemary jus, or steamed sea bream served with asparagus spears. Alternatively, a chicken or risotto dish is available.

Blackfriars

Blackfriars is a medieval building, and proudly lays claim to being the oldest dining room in the UK – the food isn’t too bad either! A selection of locally sourced meat is available from either the a-la-carte or the set menu.  Northumbrian ribeye steak and traditional Pan Haggerty are two staple dishes.

Ye ol’ Blackfriars also serves a three to five course medieval meal.

Khan’s Restaurant

Khan’s is situated on Heaton Road, a 10 minute drive or 30 minute walk out of town. Their food is 100% halal, and has been promising high quality food since 1999. If you’re after a simple but effective curry which is good value for money then look no further for your graduation meal.

Wagamama

A staple of quality Japanese food in Britain today, Wagamama is a chain restaurant a couple minutes’ walk from Grey’s Monument. Their food is fresh, cooked with soul and anything is available from a modest curry to an omakase or a teppanyaki.

https://www.instagram.com/p/2YwhymLYgA/?tagged=wagamamanewcastle

Harry’s Bar

This brasserie is in the centre of town near the Theatre Royal. This fine establishment would be perfect for a graduation meal; with a relaxed atmosphere, Harry’s signature 8-hour-slow-cooked shoulder of lamb cooked (and served) in clay, and a selection of exquisite wines, what more could you want?

The Botanist

This is one of, if not the most, sought after fine dining establishment for graduation meals in Newcastle. With a beautiful rooftop garden and excellent cocktails to go with it, The Botanist is home to a chicken, beef or lamb hanging kebab – which literally dangle over plates of chips – drizzled in sweet chilli, ginger and garlic butter.

A selection of meat or cheese deli boards, all served with Fougasse bread, and a selection of Newcastle’s finest home comforts are also available.  Once again, The Botanist is in the centre of town, an effortless distance from both Universities.

Jamie’s Italian

Situated just underneath The Botanist, Jamie’s Italian promises authentic, rustic, and popular dishes. The restaurant, according to the mission statement, stems from Jamie’s love for Italian food and with a combination of his innovative ideas you can be sure of delicious food with a welcome twist – definitely no Turkey Twizzlers on the menu though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGcd_p2x91M/?taken-at=228487080

Six

This is a stunning restaurant situated on the rooftop of the BALTIC. Six has breathtakingly panoramic views of Newcastle, and is probably one of the finest restaurants in the city if you’re looking for a unique, rich dining experience. Dishes included within the a la carte menu consist of pan roast venison with spiced nuts, roast organic trout, slow cooked pork and imam byaldi.

Both Afternoon Tea (including a champagne afternoon tea) and a lunch & early evening menu are also available, but make sure you book fast; there aren’t many better places to catch a view of the city.

Miller and Carter

If you walk all the way to the bottom of Grey Street you’ll come across a steak place called Miller and Carter. It might seem moderate in size, but this is home to Newcastle’s finest steaks, sourced and cooked by absolute experts. If you’re looking for the city’s juiciest melt in the mouth steaks then look no further. You get what you pay for – but you do pay a lot.

House of Tides

Located on the quayside, just a short distance from Hadrian’s Wall Path, House of Tides serves gourmet British cuisine to die for. Deservingly named as AA’s restaurant of the year (2015-2016) and with a Michelin star to its name, House of Tides is just moments from Tyne Bridge in a Grade 1 listed 16th century former merchant town house.

Nando’s

Why not Nando’s? There are two in the city, one in The Gate (alongside many other chain restaurants including Coast to Coast, Pizza Hut, Zaza Bazaar, TGI Friday’s) and one in Old Eldon Square. It’s cheap, and you know – more often than not – that you’re going to enjoy the food.

Get your cheeky Nando’s on!

Wherever you choose though, get booking soon – or risk hearing your Mum’s disappointed sigh when you usher her into the queue for Eat4Less.