Rate Your Shag Pages Pulled

Back to bathroom walls for tips.

You probably noticed the swarm of ‘Rate Your Shag’ pages which popped up on Facebook recently. For those of you who saw them as idiotic and inappropriate you’ll be glad to hear they’re gone.

The main issue with the pages was though the people sending the messages in remained anonymous, many of them gave the names of the individuals they were rating, as well as a ‘score’ and description of the deed.

Oddly enough, this offended some people and messages flooded in requesting the removal of the pages. 72 hours later, they were all gone.

Views on Twitter

Newcastle’s page was a brief affair, not lasting long enough for screen caps to exist (apparently).

Loughborough University has threatened disciplinary action against students who posted on the page. We seem to have escaped the wrath of top level University administration, but some have already paid the price.

The good

The bad

…and the ugly

This has sparked off debates about inappropriate behaviour vs freedom of speech with one Warwick student stating

“The removal of ‘Rate My Shag’ from Facebook is completely unjustified. It requires the removal of individual’s rights to freedom of speech.”

(The quote was originally posted on Buzzfeed with a picture, but he has since requested its removal.)

Local students’ views vary from “harmless banter” to “pathetic UniLad bullshit” via “total violation of privacy” and “anyone who likes it isn’t worth my time. And definitely not my sexual prowess.”

Should the pages have been taken down? Were they vile or just a bit of fun? Tell us what you think.