Adidas joins Team Newcastle

Worldwide brand teams up with Team Newcastle to offer scholarships and benefits as sponsorship.

Sporting giant Adidas has signed a partnership with Newcastle to help elite sportsmen and women reach their goals.

The two year partnership will be the first time Adidas has collaborated with a UK university, and will provide scholarships for two of the university’s most talented athletes, dubbing them ‘brand ambassadors.’

Those of us who are not top of the sporting food chain can still expect to benefit from the deal, which will provide funding to improve coaching at the Athletics Union, as well as kit for the University’s sports clubs.

Newcastle’s sporting prestige has been on the rise, and last year it entered the top 10 of the British Universities and College Sports league.

Laura Mason, Athletics Union officer at Newcastle University Students’ Union believes the deal will only cement sporting progress. She said “The Adidas scholarships will really benefit students who want to come to Newcastle, not just to study at a great university, but who also want to continue practicing the sports they love and are good at.”

Well played Adidas.

Professor Charles Harvey, pro-vice chancellor for humanities and social sciences at the university, said: “Newcastle has a strong history of sporting excellence, and we want to continue this tradition. The scholarships mean we can continue to attract the most gifted students – both academically and in sport – to study with us.”

Nick Craggs, Adidas’ brand director for North Europe, added: “We are delighted to have teamed up with one of the UK’s top universities for this partnership. We plan to enhance the student experience at Newcastle University and enable students to showcase their talents.”

The partnership will create part-time job opportunities for students as ambassadors and Adidas will become the preferred kit provider for Team Newcastle, Newcastle University’s sports clubs. Special offers on merchandise will also be available as part of the deal.

The value of the tie-up to either party was not disclosed.