Scores on the Doors: Weekend 16

Late arrivals, some quality finishes and relegation struggles: classic intramural football.

Some important results up and down the divisions last weekend leaves all to play for at the business end of the season.

Div 1

In a bottom of the table clash, NUSSC beat Baboons 2-1 with goals from Moffatt and a sublime free kick from Harry O’Donnell. Opening up a three point gap between themselves and bottom place, they’ll be hoping to use this victory as an opportunity to push on and secure their place as a first division team for next year.

Newcastle Medics were able to overcome Dyslexic Untied 2-0 to maintain their title hopes. With two games in hand, it promises to be a close finish with three teams still in contention for top spot.

Henderson Hall saw off relegation-threatened Civille with a 3-1 win to keep the pressure on high flying Medics 2.

A loss for Barca-law-na against the Medics (2) leaves them looking over their shoulders at the Axe Wielding Baboons rather than closing the gap on Medics 1.

Div 2

Larrikins took a important step towards safety with a comfortable 6-2 victory over Panthers. Two late consolation goals flattered the score line after Larrikins led by three at the break. A neat Womersley volley followed by two well worked team goals sealed the deal before a late Panthers surge.

Castle Leazes are set to make a late push for promotion after a 4-2 victory over Queens of Everything. After taking a two goal lead, Queens snatched a goal back before Leazes added a third and fourth. A tidy last minute goal by Ollie McNamara did little to help a desolate team staring relegation in the face.

SS Ladzio furthered their position at the top of the table with a 3-1 win over MLS. With no points on the table at this stage in the season, it’s difficult predict anything other than a relegation to Division 3. Ladzio, on the other hand, took another step towards promotion with just two games to go.

Div 3

Hamilton Biomedical beat Bayles by 5 goals to 3 to keep their promotion dream alive. After taking a 3-0 lead in the first half, Bayles were able to pull it back to three a piece in a gripping contest. However, a penalty on the 70th minute followed by fifth goal keep Bayles second bottom and Hamilton firmly in the hunt for promotion.

Controversy surrounded the bottom half clash between Fiorientina Turner and Shakhtar as “the Turner” players turned up half an hour after the allocated kick off time. Rumours circulate of a heavy night is to blame for the tardiness of the players, The Den and Riverside are the main suspects. The sister club of Wednesday’s JFC are doing all they can to maintain their bad boy reputation. A 30 minute-half game proved to be a thriller with Fiorientina came from two down to win 4-2. However, it was to no avail as this game will be replayed at a later date in term three.

Roman Villa gave themselves some breathing space between themselves and Bayern Toonich with a 3-0 over the 4th placed team. Villa are breathing down the neck of Hamilton and, with a game in hand, can move into second place at the business end of the season. Finally, Bath-a-Loner upped the ante at the top of the table with a 10-2 thrashing of Aesthetica Madrid. The strugglers secured their place at the bottom of all divisions, so far failing to even pick up a solitary point. Poor sods.