Baby Reindeer real Martha

‘I’m the victim here’: Woman accused of being Baby Reindeer’s real-life Martha speaks out

‘Richard Gadd and I have never even been friends or even in a relationship’

Ever since Baby Reindeer was released two weeks ago, people have been determined to track down the real Martha, with many people believing they had worked out who Richard Gadd’s stalker was.

Despite this, Netflix and Richard Gadd revealed they had gone through a lot of effort to disguise the real Martha and urged fans not to speculate on who any of the real-life people may be, suggesting “that’s not the point of our show”.

But now the woman speculated to be the real Martha has spoken out in several Facebook statuses and in an interview, suggesting she is the victim. The Tab has chosen to keep her anonymous.

Writing on Facebook, the woman first claims that she doesn’t know Richard Gadd: “Richard Gadd who is not known to me wrote a show four or five years ago for the festival fringe called Baby Reindeer it would appear to be popular on Netflix now among twenty-somethings with no brain. I do not follow the rantings of Richard Gadd or failed comedians like him. I have no idea what he’s said apart from a few quotes thrown at me this week by other people.”

She continued: “He seems to have some fat ugly woman called Martha being played by an actress pretending to be me. Again. I do not know this actress. Richard Gadd was a jobbing barman in the Hawley Arms, Camden. I did know that. I used to live in Camden and no longer do.”

She added that she’s had death threats from people who have watched the show and tracked down her identity. “I’ve had vile stalking and abusive threats,” she said.

The woman then claims that the whole thing was actually the other way around: “Richard Gadd and I have never even been friends or even in a relationship. He’s a gay man. I’m a heterosexual woman. He did ask me out and stalked me years ago. Sorry I’m not interested. Some people just can’t take rejection!”

And now speaking anonymously to the Daily Record, the woman added that she felt she was the victim in the whole situation. “I’m the victim here, not Richard Gadd,” she said.

“I’ve had death threats as a result of his show despite the fact that a lot of the things he claimed are just not true.”

“Someone online said, ‘If I find you I will kill you’. A guy in North Carolina said that he and other people were going to stalk me like I am supposed to have stalked Gadd. I got two hours sleep last night. I thought, what if his supporters really do things like that?”

“I was in Richard Gadd’s company on occasions but I didn’t stalk him like he claims. His story is that this is a gross intrusion into my privacy. I haven’t seen him for 12 years.”

Richard Gadd and Netflix have been contacted for comment.