Eid Banners in Victoria Park defaced in Islamophobic attack

The attacks have been attributed to a rise in hate crimes following last week’s referendum result

Two banners inviting Leicester to join in with the Islamic festival of Eid were defaced in Victoria Park, as Brexit result sees rise in racially motivated attacks.

Barely a week on from Brexit and Britain is facing big economic and political problems – with the pound falling to a 31-year low and members of the Shadow Cabinet resigning left, right, and centre, not to mention the resignation of David Cameron.

However, the result of the referendum has resulted in another big concern.

Reports have been widespread since Brexit regarding the escalation of racially motivated attacks on minorities – with the Polish and Muslim communities the prime subjects of said attacks.

Yesterday, two banners inviting Leicester to join the Islamic Eid celebrations marking the end of the holy month of obligatory fasting (Ramadan) for Muslims were defaced in a racially motivated attack in Victoria Park.

Tell MAMA, an anti-Muslim hate monitoring group, found a 326 per cent rise in incidents last year, while the Muslim Council of Britain said it had compiled over 100 hate crimes this weekend alone.

Such attacks should be, and have been, condemned as they don’t reflect the truly tolerant, diverse nature of British society.

Leicester South MP Jon Ashworth took to Facebook to voice his disgust over the incidents: “These are disgusting racially aggravated incidents”.

Such an attack is somewhat shocking for Leicester, a city known for the celebration of its extremely diverse community – every year the City holds one of the largest celebrations of the Diwali festival outside of India itself.

Ashworth goes on to add that “We [Leicester] as a city live together, celebrate together and condemn racism together”.

He also urged anyone with information regarding the attacks to come forward, stressing “this xenophobia and racism must be stamped out.”

The office of Prime Minister David Cameron was also quick to assert that Britain “will not tolerate intolerance”.

As a young British Muslim myself I feel all we, as Muslims, can do is “keep calm and carry on”, especially in this blessed month of Ramadan, where the lengthy 20-hour fasts (nope we’re not allowed water either) test our patience and resolve more than anything else.

My personal message to those behind the defacing of the banners in Victoria Park is this:

You were more than likely at Victoria Park on May 16th, as was I. With the sun shining, and an unforgettable atmosphere, you were cheering on your team’s player of the season, Riyadh Mahrez – a Muslim, and arguably the key ingredient that took your City’s team to the pinnacle of sporting history.

So if you can’t live side-by-side in harmony with Muslims, don’t bother supporting Riyadh Mahrez the next time he emerges from the tunnel at the King Power.

But finally, I encourage everyone, Muslim or non-Muslim, to go and enjoy the Eid celebrations in Victoria Park next week to defeat such racist attitudes.