A Love Letter to Jumping Jacks, for replacing Lamplighters

A Rubble to Ritz Story

Unless you’re one of the lucky ones, you’ll have lived in Leicester to know of the less than high-brow establishment that was Lamplighters. Renowned more for its all-day drinkers than its critical thinkers, many have been known to avoid Silver Street after dark for fear of being caught up in an EastEnders-style relationship drama, or an episode of Crimewatch.

El door-ado

However, it seems that there are none beyond redemption: “ASBO Alley” has seen the last of the Light and is now on the highway to swing (in a good way). The new American-style diner, Jumping Jacks, has brought some much-needed colour and charm to another Leicester backstreet.

El Bar

As the Cathedral bells tolled overhead, I headed in through the swing-doors that lie between our world and a little piece of the optimistic 1950’s USA.

The Decor

They’ve really pulled off the retro experience, from checkerboard tiles to the cherry-red stools; from the Elvis singing through the sound system to the effigy of him sitting meditatively in the corner.

Bottomless coffee

Then there’s the food and drink – I loved the (bottomless) coffee, freshly made and with more poured into your mug by the obliging waiting staff whenever you’ve run low. It was like being in one of the better Woody Allen films.

The Burgers

The burgers are well-made and the fries come in great portions; we’re a group of big eaters, but I was the only one of our party to finish my meal (excluding the mandatory few chips left to avoid judgement).

The Price

For the price of a club entry fee and, if you’re lucky, a VK, you can enjoy a good meal and as much caffeine as you can shake a Taylor Swift single at. I’m still coming down from the high, but that could be because they don’t let me out very much.

Elvis

So in essence we’ve gone – to invert the title of a famous Arctic Monkeys song – from rubble to Ritz. You may be able to make out from Exhibit A that Jumping Jacks is attracting far more varied a crowd than its sleazy predecessor did in years, with good reason.

I recommend to anyone (who’s not on a diet) to head on down the next time you’ve discharged all your energy and student loan on a merry jaunt in Urban Outfitters. It might just be the old-school style you’ve been looking for, but for the less adventurous among us they do a cracking milkshake. Fun for all the flat.