Leicester uni stands by its decision to kick out medic in Taken-gate scandal

He threatened to find someone and kill them

The Uni of Leicester has defended it’s decision to remove fourth year Medical student Ravinda Thilakawardhana following his online threat towards a fellow student.

A university spokesman said “every case subject to the university’s disciplinary regulations is dealt with on a case-by-case basis”.

He said they were dealt with by a committee who came to their decision based on the facts of the case.  He added:”There is also an opportunity for students to appeal these decisions.

“The university is able to confirm that it followed its procedures throughout.

“However, it is unable to comment further”

Ravindu Thilakawardhana posted the outburst in 2013 after explicit pictures of his friend were posted online. He initially received a reprimand

But in April last year, a university disciplinary panel decided Mr Thilakawardhana was “unfit to practice medicine” and kicked him off the course.

Mr Thilakawardhana complained to an independent adjudicator and then to London’s High Court on the grounds the punishment was completely over the top.

Unfortunately for Thilakawardhana, Judge Milwyn Jarman upheld the university’s decision, saying that the university panel had every right to deem Thilakawardhana  “fundamentally incompatible with continuing on a medical course or practicing as a doctor”.