MP threatens to ban Coca-Cola truck coming to Leicester

Does he hate Christmas or just Coca-Cola?

The Labour MP for Leicester has announced that the Coca- Cola truck is unwelcome in town and threatens to ban the parade from coming this December.

Keith Vaz’s hostility to the brand is on the basis that the drink should not be advertised owing to its high sugar content. Mr Vaz, who himself has diabetes, claims that promoting this product at a time of high levels of obesity and diabetes is irresponsible, as many are unaware of the high levels of sugar in the drink.

Leicester’s Highcross is usually the main area of focus for the the promotional truck.

In the run up to Christmas, Coca-Cola sends its promotional truck on a tour through various areas, including Leicester’s Highcross Shopping Centre.

This annual event draws crowds from across Leicester, and sees the Coca-Cola company promoting their products with free samples and, to keep the Christmas spirit alive, their very own Santa.

Leicester’s market is centred in the town centre, near the truck’s usual route.

Nicky, a first-year biochemistry student at Leicester University is aware of the high amount of sugar in Coca-Cola’s products yet says it’s “absurd” that an established show of Christmas spirit should be banned for that reason.

She said: “It’s not all about Coca-Cola – what about Christmas!?”

The promotional truck’s tour in the past has been a successful, fun event for all ages, with a focus on Christmas celebrations as much as on the brand itself. Hence it’s not surprising that Mr Vaz’s aversion to the brand has been regarded with incredulity.