Victoria Park hosts eclipse breakfast picnic

If you didn’t get out of bed you didn’t miss much

Today in Leicester, at 9:33am, the grand total of 90% of the sun was eclipsed by the moon.

For those who were lucky enough to have a pair of solar eclipse viewers, they had the opportunity to witness this occurrence without the chance of blindness.

Others improvised with paper and even pasta colanders- you’ve got to get use out of them somehow.

To mark the event, the Physics Society hosted a “breakfast club”, attracting huge numbers of students to view the eclipse together on Victoria Park.

Over 1,800 people clicked attending on the Facebook event and most of them appeared to turn up for the occasion, the park was filled with students and residents alike.

The society also ensured that no-one was left hungrily standing around as a burger van was present to feed all those who had been waiting since, quite literally, the break of dawn.

Many students were impressed by this infrequent scientific occurrence. English thid year Vicky said the eclipse gave Leicester an “erie and quiet atmosphere.”

American Studies student Meg added: “I missed my seminar for this but it was totally worth it.”

Other noticeable changes in the environment were a slight drop in temperature and the absence of birds singing, which is particularly unusual in Victoria Park and made things even eerier.

See you in Summer 2026 for the next total solar eclipse..