Jail time for Victoria Park robbers

Three male students were mugged in October 2013

Two men who assaulted and robbed Leicester students in Victoria Park on separate occasions have been sentenced to a combined time of nearly two years in prison.

20-year-old Asif Esa from Oadby was with four friends when he surrounded three male students walking through Victoria Park early in the morning on October 26, 2013.

Esa grabbed his first victim by the neck and threatened him with a knife attack if he didn’t hand over his phone.

The victim handed over his phone while two of Esa’s accomplises assaulted another of the students. Esa then punched the third student in the face.

Esa originally denied the offences but later admitted to the robbery of the first victim and the attempted robbery of the student who was punched.

Esa’s father told the court and Leicester Mercury that his family was devastated by his son’s behaviour, but said his son had since “mended his ways”.

Esa received a sentence of 20 months in prison.

The incidents took place in Victoria Park

Another robbery in the Victoria Park vicinity occurred on the same night and was carried out by 22-year-old Saniel Rura-Solanki living in Highfields at the time.

Joined by an unknown accomplice, Rura-Solanki attacked a student by throttling him whilst demanding he hand over his phone.

Rura-Solanki received a 15 month jail sentence, suspended for two years. He has also been fined £500.

Judge Philip Head described the attacks as “violent muggings in a park, which was planned seriously criminal behaviour.”