Popular student spot Lancaster Grand puts out appeal for renovation donations

The Grand will finally be rebuilding its foyer since plans originally surfaced in 2008

Lancaster Grand Theatre has launched an appeal for donations to rebuild its 238-year-old foyer.

The Grand Theatre’s foyer is currently “very compact considering its 460-seat capacity” and “was not designed with accessibility in mind.” The Grand would like to renovate its theatre space to “benefit theatre goers, the community, and the long-term future of the theatre”.

They are appealing to raise £2.4 million for the renovation, which will include improvements such as increased circulation space, improved accessibility, and spacious bar areas.

The plans for the renovation were originally submitted in 2008, but the theatre states they faced many “unavoidable delays”, meaning the £625k grant they had received will expire in March 2023. They have since received new redesign plans in 2018 that include a self-evacuation route for wheelchair users and a car-free reimagination of the plaza.

If able to raise the £2.4 million requested, this will bring the total to the projected cost of the project at £2.84 million.

On its website, the Theatre team state: “The Theatre does not receive any external funding so we rely on the support of you, our supporters, to help us generate funds. The money we receive from ticket sales goes directly to the upkeep and restoration of the theatre.”

Those interested in donating can do so here.

Related articles recommended by this writer