A complete guide to Lancaster’s Bonfire Night celebrations

Multiple organisations have plans for Guy Fawkes Night this year

It’s officially November. The month of complaining about early Christmas decorations, wrapping up warm, and of course, Bonfire Night! People in Lancaster and beyond are gearing up for a Bonfire Night to make up for last year’s lockdown Guy Fawkes Night, promising spectacular fireworks displays. And with multiple events taking place across the Lancaster area, there’s plenty to see.

Here’s your guide to all the Bonfire Night activities taking place this week.

LUSU Fireworks Spectacular – November 4th

Organised by Lancaster University Students’ Union, this fireworks display will take place in Lancaster Square (in County College) on Thursday, November 4th. Gates will open at 6 pm, with the display slated to begin at 8 pm.

LUSU have stressed that they expect the event to be busy and advise arriving early to avoid disappointment, and have also stated that, as the fireworks are being set off from behind Lancaster Square, they may be visible from some student accommodation.

They have also stated that the car park next to Lancaster Square will be closed for safety reasons, and that sparklers are not permitted at the event. Entry is free, and will include access to the fireworks display as well as performances from students. You can find out more here.

Image may contain: Lighting, Fireworks, Night, Human, Person, Outdoors, Nature

Light Up Lancaster – November 5th-6th

Making its triumphant return after a year off due to Covid-19, Light Up Lancaster is a festival that combines “art, light installations, music and dance.” Events and art installations will take place between 5 pm-10 pm on Friday, and 5 pm-7:30 pm (unless otherwise stated) on Saturday.

This includes a new multimedia performance by theatre company Imitating the Dog at Lancaster Castle. Light Up Lancaster’s website has a full list of the entertainment that will be available across the two days.

Bolton-le-Sands Bonfire and Firework Display – November 6th

For people who’d like a traditional bonfire, and don’t mind travelling a bit further for it, Bolton-le-Sands will be hosting their annual bonfire and firework display on Saturday, November 6th at Community Centre Playing Fields. This location is approximately 20 minutes from campus by car. Gates open at 6 pm, with the bonfire being lit at 6:45 pm, and fireworks at a later time.

You can purchase tickets for this event at a selection of stores across Lancaster, Carnforth, and Morecambe, with a full list available on their website.

Recommended articles by this writer:

From terrifying to Teletubbies: Here are Lancaster Uni’s best Halloween costumes 2021

What it’s really like to live in an all-boys house in Lancs as the only girl

10 things I wish someone had told me before I started at Lancs Uni