From terrifying to Teletubbies: Here are Lancaster Uni’s best Halloween costumes 2021

Costumes scarier than Christmas deadlines!

Spooky season has come and gone, but we aren’t finished until we do a rundown of the best Halloween costumes worn by Lancs students this year.

Sugar looked like a who’s who of pop culture over the weekend, so put down the tinsel and turn off Michael Buble, and take a look at some of the finest spooky fancy dress this university has to offer!

Batman

Lancaster is basically Gotham city, right? It is with these three running about.

Originality: 3/5 – Superheroes are very popular, but good twist going with villains.

Execution: 5/5 – Joker makeup is on point.

Scariness: 4/5 – These guys could cause some chaos.

Chef

A  cooked-up fusion between gore and lust.

Here’s what they had to say: “I got the costume assigned… but I had creative freedom in terms of how to pull it off. They did say I could go as a sexy chef or a scary one, so I kind of mixed both options.”

Originality: 4/5 – This one seems like it has a very personal story behind it.

Execution: 4/5 – There must’ve been quality DIY skills required to make that tray and great work combining two themes.

Scariness: 5/5 – The peace sign-making this all the more harrowing!

Spiderman and Captain America

Marvel is always going to be in, and I can’t wait for No Way Home.

Here’s what they had to say: “Me and my best friend wanted to surprise each other for Halloween; we didn’t tell each other our costumes and ended up buying the same marvel theme.”

Originality: 2/5 – Superheroes are always so popular, you have redeemed yourself with the surprise choices. Great minds think alike!

Execution: 4/5 – pretty spot on, especially with a female Captain America Outfit. Topped off with a great pose.

Scariness: 1/5 – they’re here to save the day!

Raven, Teen Titans

Bring back the nostalgia!

Here’s what they had to say: “I loved watching teen titans when I was younger, and Raven was one of my favourite characters. I thought she looked the coolest!”

Originality: 5/5 – I don’t think Lancs has ever seen it.

Execution: 4/5 – It’s always good to see a costume that’s been put together, and it’s spot on.

Scariness: 3/5 – Yet another hero costume does give off some spooky vibes, though.

Power Rangers

Go, Go, Power Rangers!

Here’s what they had to say: “I got the costume off Amazon, but it needed more drip cause the bodysuit looked kinda dry. I threw on this jacket, got my vans on and got my watch and thought, this looks mad.”

Originality: 2/5 – This idea makes an appearance every year.

Execution: 4/5 – A good choice of rangers, well customised, and a bonus point for Sultans pic.

Scariness: 2/5 – childhood heroes, how could anyone be scared?

Donna and the Dynamos, Mamma Mia

Doing Lily James and Meryl Streep proud, Lancaster needs more ABBA!

Originality: 5/5 – Donna and the Dynamos are definitely new, and I reckon you’ve started a trend.

Execution: 4/5 – It’s just about as good as you can get with three matching tops and blue feather bowers.

Scariness: 2/5 – The only things that are scary about this is those high notes.

Teletubbies

Over the hills and far away, the Teletubbies come out to play.

Originality: 3/5 – A classic four-person theme has been given a new lease of life.

Execution: 4/5 – Love the level of DIY.

Scariness: 3/5 – Are the Teletubbies creepy? The jury’s still out, in my opinion.

Plants Vs Zombies

These guys will be sure to keep the zombies off your lawn!

Here’s what they had to say: “big fan of the game. Planned these several months in advance. Required a lot of time to make.”

Originality: 5/5 – I don’t think anyone has had the imagination or courage to attempt this.

Execution: 5/5 – Anything lower than five would be a crime with this amount of paper mache.

Scariness: 4/5 – That’s simply because it probably took longer to make than most people take to write essays.

Very glad to see no Squid Game costumes. You’ve got just under a year to prepare and impress us in 2022.