Lancaster Uni ‘not planning routine tests’ for COVID amongst students

‘The University will support any contact tracing beyond the immediate shared setting (accommodation flats) by providing any relevant information to external agencies’

Lancaster University this morning confirmed that they will not be following in the footsteps of Exeter and Nottingham universities, and they will not be providing routine, private COVID-19 tests for students.

Instead, students will have to apply for NHS coronavirus tests as per the procedure before returning to university. Lancaster is not the only university to operate in this manner, with the University of Sussex announcing similar measures in the past week, too.

When contacted to outline their policy, Lancaster University Press Office released this statement to The Tab Lancaster: “Lancaster University is working with all relevant external agencies to ensure that students can obtain a COVID-19 test quickly should they develop symptoms. The University is not planning routine tests on staff and students who are asymptomatic.

“Lancaster University is working closely with all relevant external agencies who will be responsible for operating the government’s test and trace system. Our collegiate residential setting allows us to segment our student population to identify any contacts and minimise any further spread. We have put in place systems to allow students to report if they develop COVID-19 symptoms, they are waiting for a test or have received a positive test. Where a student who has symptoms or who has tested positive is resident in our campus accommodation, they will be asked to self-isolate and other students in their shared setting will also be asked to self-isolate.

“The University will support any contact tracing beyond the immediate shared setting (accommodation flats) by providing any relevant information to external agencies. The University will be monitoring any suspected or potential cases and working with the relevant external agencies to take action to avoid any infection spread. Retail outlets on campus are subject to the normal requirements to collect customers’ contact details for any contact tracing required.

“The University has established physical distancing across campus, including in teaching rooms at 2m, over and above the government’s 1m+ guidelines.”

Lancaster has said that these measures are subject to change, and may well change during the termly review of coronavirus measures in place.