Extravs 2020 cancelled due to Coronavirus pandemic

It’s official: Extrav 2020 is cancelled

Lancaster University Students’ Union has announced the cancellation of all 2020 Extrav events this morning. Following the suspension of classroom teaching from Week 20 through the summer term due to the Coronavirus outbreak, the students’ union has made the decision to cancel all Extravs this year.

The statement released by the Students’ Union states: “Sadly we have to announce that the end of term Extravs will not be going ahead this year. The decision has been forced upon us by the on-going Coronavirus crisis.

“We understand that this will come as a great disappointment to students, for who the themed Extravs thrown by each undergraduate college are a highlight of the year. We’re sure you understand the reasons for the decision and that in the on-going virus outbreak their health and safety are paramount, so we really had no choice.”

Extravs are big events held by each of the nine colleges over a period of 3 days. Each college has a different theme and students dress according to this theme, as well as there being theme-specific events taking place. Last year, some of the themes included ‘Under the sea’ and ‘Mario Kart’. Extravs are a huge part of the end of year celebrations.