Everything we know about the London Bridge terrorist attack so far

The terrorist has been identified

Hide Images

Police have identified the attacker from yesterday's terrorist incident at London Bridge.

This morning police confirmed the attacker was 28-year-old Usman Khan.

Khan was out of prison on licence at the time of the attack.

Yesterday afternoon, Khan killed one man and woman, and injured three other people before being shot dead by officers after members of the public were injured.

Later that afternoon police declared the attack a terrorist incident.

What we know about the attack yesterday so far:

The attack is said to have begun at 13:58 GMT at Fishmonger's Hall – located at the north end of London Bridge.

In the Hall a Cambridge University conference called Learning Together was taking place.

Learning Together is an organisation which looks into the rehabilitation of prisoners and looks to improve prison-based education.

Initial pictures of the attack on London Bridge

The attacker is said to have attended the events where a number of students and former prisoners also attended.

Met Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said the attack is thought to have started inside the building before continuing onto London Bridge itself.

The attacker moved onto London Bridge before he was held down by members of the public until he was shot down by armed police.

One of the heroes of yesterdays attacks was seen to have pulled the knife off the attacker while other people held him down.

Police cornered off areas around London Bridge and Borough Market

Currently Mr Basu said police are not actively looking for anyone else in relation to the attack, although "fast time enquiries" are being made to make sure there is no continuing threat to public safety.

Who is Usman Khan?

Khan was already known to British authorities and had been convicted for terrorism offences back in 2012.

Mr Basu confirmed in December 2018 he was released from prison on licence.

The Parole Board have since said they had no involvement in his release, saying he "appears to have been released automatically on license" (as required by law).

The Times have also reported that Khan's release came only after he agreed to wear an electronic tag which would allow the authorities to monitor his movements.

Since his release from prison on license Khan has been living in Stafford.

Usman Khan

In 2012 he was sentenced to a minimum of a jail term of eight years to indeterminate detention for "public protection."

If followed through this initial sentence would have allowed him to be kept in prison beyond the minimum term.

In 2013, however, the Court of Appeal rescinded the sentence, a 16-year-fixed term of which Khan would serve half in prison.

Why was he initially imprisoned?

Khan was initially jailed with eight other men all of whom were from Stoke-on-Trent and had been inspired by the ideology of al-Qaeda.

The men at the time were under surveillance by M15 who discovered the groups plan to put a pipe bomb in the London Stock Exchange.

The men had been overheard plotting this potential attack around Stoke as well as discussing potential attacks in their own city, including leaving explosive devices in club and pub toilets.

Khan in particular was monitored when in conversation discussing "how to construct a pipe bomb" from an instruction manual in al-Qaeda magazine.

The group of men were also funding a proposed college for Islamic instruction abroad where people would've been taught how to use firearms.

The court appeal judgement in 2012 said: "The groups were clearly considering a range of possibilities including fundraising for the establishment of military training madrassa in Pakistan, where they would undertake training themselves and recruit others to do likewise, sending letter bombs through the post, attacking public houses used by British racist groups, attacking a high profile target with an explosive device and a Mumbai-style attack."

The court added that the group had "serious long term plans" that would send Khan, yesterday's attacker, for "training and terrorist experience."

"They engaged with the others who were contemplating short term attacks in the UK but rightly considered themselves to be more serious jihadis than the others."

Mohibur Rahman, who was jailed alongside Khan in 2012, after his own release from jail was found guilty of planning another terrorist plot.

King's College London's Guy's Campus is still closed

After yesterday's at King's Guy's Campus was put on immediate lockdown.

A few hours later people were advised to leave the campus.

Residents in the student accommodation on Guy's Campus, including Orchard Lisle and Iris Brook, were told by police yesterday evening to stay elsewhere if they could avoid the campus.

The university also sent out an email to all its students stating that "Guy's Campus would be closed for the evening."

The university said: "Guy's Campus will be closed until we get further advice from the Metropolitan Police. We will send a further update when we learn more."

There has been no update since and so as far as students are aware Guy's Campus is still closed.

KCLSU have posted on their Facebook page at 10AM this morning stating that: "The Guy's Campus Hubs desk will be closed all day today. For any student needs, head to the Strand Campus Hub desk."

This is a breaking news story. We will update as we learn more.

Are you a King's student affected by this story? Are you on Guy's campus? DM The King's Tab Instagram or Facebook with any information.