Gavin and Stacey to Doctor Who: All your favourite shows that were filmed in Cardiff

Next time you’re on campus keep an eye out

As the Welsh capital, Cardiff seems to be a favourite location for many productions. Not only has the city a lot to offer from beautiful scenery to historic buildings, but it is also more affordable for producers. We listed some of the most popular places used as sets in films and series.

Sherlock: 2010 – 2017

If Cardiff University has not advertised to you the scenes of Sherlock and John running around the Main Building, have you even applied to the university? The beautiful 19th century building appears to be in Central London in the series. Although, the true Sherlockians based in Cardiff will recognise the familiar walls.

Another scene also depicts the two characters standing on the stairs of the National Museum.

Doctor Who: 2010 – 2013

A decades-old classic, Doctor Who was filmed in several places across the Welsh capital. Some of the scenes took place at Cardiff Bay whilst others were filmed in Lllandaff Cathedral, Cardiff Castle (for a Christmas special with Matt Smith), and the Museum of Welsh Life at St. Fagans.

Cardiff Castle was used in a Christmas special

Roald Dahl Plass was a fueling station where the Doctor charged his TARDIS.

His Dark Materials: 2019 – present

The Bad Wolf production His Dark Materials has used a few Cardiff University buildings for their set. The Glamorgan building and John Percival building can be spotted in a few scenes.

We wish these two were as exciting places as the series portrays.

Infinite: 2021

This 2021 action starring Mark Wahlberg filmed a car stunt at Newport Road. The scene took place in front of the Mercure Hotel in Cardiff’s city centre. The stunt involved a car smashing through the hotel and going over a NYPD car. The film did receive negative reviews, but we’re hoping not due to the filming locations chosen.

Gavin and Stacey: 2007 – 2019

Another classic, only this time it was actually filmed in Barry. The comedy series portrayed the main character Stacey’s Welsh family. With Barry Island being a 20 minute train journey from Cathays, the Home of Gavin and Stacy is a must visit for all fans of the show!

A Discovery of Witches: 2018 – 2022

Ok, so this one technically was filmed in Caerphilly. But in our defence, the beautiful Caerphilly castle is just a few minutes’ drive from Cardiff. The historic building alongside the moat was used to recreate the Tower of London and the Thames in the series.