Cardiff has been ranked one of the best cities in the world for the queer community

Cardiff has been ranked 8th in cities across the world in accepting the LGBTQ+ community

Good news for the queer community in Cardiff as according to a study, Cardiff has ranked within the top ten cities in the world for accepting those in the LGBTQ+ community, securing the eighth position. 

The survey was based on several factors, including overall community acceptance, the number of gay bars and clubs in the city, and how locals rate these spaces.

Madeline Graham, a first-year chemistry student at Cardiff University who belongs to the LGBTQ+ community said: “While I do worry a bit in Cardiff especially considering the homophobic hate crime that happened in Bute Park last year, I’d say overall I feel safe in Cardiff and relatively confident that I will be accepted when telling my sexuality to peers or coursemates. So far, I have personally found that everyone I’ve met in Cardiff has been accepting, and have even met a lot of wonderful queer friends” 

The city of Reykjavik came out on top in this ranking. The city received a perfect score of 10 for LGBTQ+ inclusion.

The Netherlands has two of the top five most tolerant cities in the world. Amsterdam received a 9.8/10 for total LGBTQ+ acceptance. With a score of 9.8/10, Rotterdam is placed third in terms of LGBTQ+ inclusion only because of the lack of queer bars. 

The Welsh government has also stated its intention to create Wales “the most LGBTQ+ friendly nation” in Europe, indicating that there is always room for development. 

You can read more about the study here.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

New artwork revealed in Cardiff’s city centre to celebrate LGBTQ+ history

“The Uni could do a bit more”: Cardiff Uni students share their experience of being LGBTQ+ on campus

Here for you: The support networks available to LGBTQ+ students in Cardiff