We asked Cardiff students what they think about getting a third jab of the Covid-19 vaccine

93 per cent of our survey participants are going to take the booster dose

After two doses of the Covid-19 vaccine, over-18s were recently invited to receive their third booster jab. The Welsh government and Cardiff University have both encouraged students to take the booster dose to control the spread of the virus in Wales.

Despite being encouraged to participate in the programme, there are still a number of young people who have chosen not to get vaccinated. The Tab Cardiff reached out to students to see how they felt about getting a booster dose and here’s what they said:

88 per cent of our respondents have received an invitation for the booster dose

569 poll participants were offered the third booster dose while 79 said they had not received an invitation yet.

In a recent tweet, First Minister Mark Drakeford said that “the booster dose is vital” and encouraged “everyone to get theirs when offered”.

Seven per cent of the respondents are opposed to taking a third jab

93 per cent of the students who participated in the poll said they were going to take the third dose of the vaccine. On the other hand, 52 (7 per cent) of the respondents said they were against it.

“I’m double jabbed and that should’ve been enough”

Some respondents who were against taking a third jab shared the reasons for their decision.

One student said: “They said we can have our freedom back after two doses and they have now proven a lie.” Another student said: “Because it just seems like an endless cycle of having to take and retake more jabs”

However, some students have had to hold back on the jab due to “personal medical reasons”.

“I’m going to get it, but I am a tad scared of the side-effects”

A majority of students are pro-vaccination and are accepting the offer of a booster dose.

One student told the The Tab Cardiff that they are getting it but are scared due to the “bad side effects of the first dose”. Another student commented: “All anti-vaxxers are selfish pricks.”

“Waiting for long-term data”

While most respondents had rigid stances about the ongoing vaccination programme, some students are awaiting more research and scientific data to make their decision.

One student shared his thoughts about the booster dose with The Tab Cardiff: “Emergency authorised yet not approved until 2023. Waiting for long-term data.”

For more information on how to get your Covid-19 vaccination, click here.

Please reach out to your GP or the Cardiff University Well-being Team if you need any assistance regarding the vaccination programme.

Recommended articles by this writer:

Covid, Christmas, and Cathays: My experience of isolating in a student house during Christmas

Alert Level 2 Covid regulations to be introduced in Wales from Boxing Day

The Inside Out festival is coming back to Bute Park this summer