Alert Level 2 Covid regulations to be introduced in Wales from Boxing Day

This will mean tighter rules for social distancing and hospitality businesses

The First Minister has announced a revised version of Alert Level 2 Covid regulations to be introduced from 6 am on Boxing Day in Wales. These measures will come into force to limit the spread of the Omicron variant.

Here’s a full of list of upcoming changes:

• A general requirement of 2m social distancing in all premises open to the public and workplaces, where reasonable.

• The rule of six will apply to gatherings in regulated premises, such as hospitality, cinemas and theatres.

• All licensed premises will need to take additional measures to protect customers and staff, including table service and collecting contact details.

• Face coverings will be required in hospitality settings at all times apart from when seated.

• Large events will not be allowed indoors or outdoors. The maximum number of people who can gather at an indoor event will be 30 and 50 outdoors.

• There will be an exception for team sports, up to 50 spectators will be able to gather, in addition to those taking part. There is also an exception for events involving children.

Mr. Drakeford told Wales Online: “We are facing a very serious situation in Wales. A wave of infections caused by the new, fast-moving and very-infectious Omicron variant is headed our way. We will do everything we can to protect people’s health and livelihoods in Wales – this means taking early action to try and control its spread

“We are changing the rules for businesses and some public spaces, where lots of different people mix daily and issuing strong and clear advice to help people stay safe in their own private homes and when meeting others.”

He added: “The most important thing we can all do to protect ourselves against Omicron is to be fully vaccinated – that means also having the booster. If you are eligible for a booster then please make getting it a priority in the coming weeks.”

The Welsh Government have also advised people to follow these five measures:

• Limit the number of people visiting your home.

• If people are visiting, make sure they take a lateral flow test in the morning before the visit.

• Meeting outdoors is better than indoors. If you’re meeting indoors make sure it’s well ventilated.

• Space out any visits.

• And don’t forget about social distancing and washing your hands.

To know more about these upcoming changes, please click here.

To access Cardiff University’s student support and wellbeing resources during the Christmas break, click here.