Bristol University’s Centre For Black Humanities: Everything the uni is doing to celebrate black histories

Up until Christmas they will be hosting a seminar series celebrating and publicising research in the field of Black Humanities.

October is Black History Month and Bristol University are committed to celebrating black histories throughout this month and all through the academics year.

A huge part of this mission is the foundation of the Bristol Centre for Black Humanities. This is an organisation directed by Professor Madhu Krishnan and Dr Saima Nasar and “seeks to foster the broad range of research currently being done at the Faculty of Arts around the artistic and intellectual work of people of African descent.”

Throughout the term, up until Christmas, they will be hosting a seminar series celebrating and publicising research in the field of Black Humanities. They invite lectures from universities all over the UK.

In a recent blog post, Kathryn Pintus outlined the center’s current work and future aspirations. She said: “The Centre aims to foster the broad range of research currently being done at the University of Bristol around the artistic and intellectual work of people of African descent.

“The Centre is committed to reaching audiences outside the traditional university through a diverse programme of film screenings, reading groups, performances, and research collaborations with local communities. Such activities enable our research to generate impact in other areas including the cultural industries and higher education policy.

“Our main priorities as a Centre are: Collaboration, interdisciplinarity, engagement, exchange, and internationalism. The Centre works with academics, artists and practitioners – nationally and internationally – to produce world-leading research in Black Humanities.

You can find the seminar series on the events page of their website as well as the recent publications and posts by historians.

Cover image: @BrisBlackHums