Forget selfies, it’s all about the uglie

It's the latest craze: a selfie taken while pulling a goofy, often hideous face.

The seven chin snap, the cross-eyed pig nose, the puffed cheeks with bulging eyes. Even if you don’t know these names, you’ll recognise the photos they describe: uglies.

The lipsmacker

The toad

shez

The thumb

gibbs

The hills have eyes

IMG_0437[1]

The constipated Englishman

Uglies are selfies where the person in the photo makes a face – the more hiedous the better. Most of us now share these kinds of photos with friends on a regular basis via Snapchat, WhatsApp and even Facebook if we’re feeling brave. If you’ve got a smartphone, you can expect to see half a dozen gurning faces every day.

The craze has trickled down from celebs. Although the majority of them do make sure their hair and make up is flawless before taking a snap, it’s still nice to see A (though most often B or J or Z) listers not taking themselves so seriously. Here’s Ricky Gervais:

Jervais loves his bath uglies

The toothless simpleton

But just why do we feel the need to share these ugly photos of ourselves? Well, we’re bored of seeing girls pouting and guys flexing.  It’s no longer as acceptable to share ridiculously flattering selfies of yourself on Facebook and Twitter unless you’re under the age of fourteen. It comes across as vain and more than a little self-obsessed.

We know exactly what our friends and acquaintances look like and sadly it’s not quite what their selfies would suggest. Camera angles can make the most unfortunate looking person appear vaguely attractive.

george

The puffafish

IMG-20131022-WA0003

The cross-eyed pig nose

jack

The corpse

Who needs fatbooth?

The fatbooth

The uglie is the new selfie. It allows us to maintain the addictive relationship with our front facing camera without appearing horribly vain. In fact, they allow us to relax and have fun. You don’t have to pull one of those self-concious fake smiles. Stick your tongue out, stick it up your nose, whatever. Anything goes with uglies.

It’s a virtual statement: ‘Hey, look at me. I look like shit and I really don’t care’.  It signals that we do not need likes and compliments on unrealistically attractive images of ourselves to feel secure.

1395008_10153429371605341_1035661629_n

The ugly sisters

alice

The crybaby

photo (11)

The odd couple

beats

The rah-gly

Uglies are also a backlash against the pretentious, perfect images taken with Instagram. Whilst Instagram is all about pretending to have a perfect little life prancing around a pool and making cupcakes, an ugly face sent via Snapchat shows us as real, down-to-earth people, who don’t mind pulling a face in a manky dressing gown.

A study by Dan Zarrella, HubSpot’s social-media scientist, showed that tweets containing Instragram links are 42% less likely to be retweeted than tweets without photos. Instagram photos of you half naked with your cat/dog/kitten/any inanimate object aren’t fashionable or arty, they’re just plain annoying.

@TheTab
  • Farley

This article is wank, sort it out

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Newcastle Editor

Newcastle’s BNOC of the Year: Nominations are now open

Everyone stop what you’re doing

Snapchat stories are the bane of modern times

I’m trying not to be too bitter

, Chief Reporter

There’s a petition for the Rhodes Must Fall leader to have his scholarship revoked

It already has more than 27,000 signatures

, National Editor

‘I tore up the rose she’d sent’: The secret stories from your most awkward break-ups

Confessions of relationships that went wrong

How much money do you owe your parents right now?

We asked people how in debt they are to the ‘Bank of Mum and Dad’

London now has a halls of residence for grown-ups

It’s exactly as awful as it sounds

Running has pulled me out of my anxiety and misery

I was a miserable wreck until I found my cure

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

There is a campaign to provide sanitary bins in male toilets for trans students

28,000 trans students need our support