Forget selfies, it’s all about the uglie

By on

It's the latest craze: a selfie taken while pulling a goofy, often hideous face.

The seven chin snap, the cross-eyed pig nose, the puffed cheeks with bulging eyes. Even if you don’t know these names, you’ll recognise the photos they describe: uglies.

The lipsmacker

The toad

The thumb

The hills have eyes

The constipated Englishman

Uglies are selfies where the person in the photo makes a face – the more hiedous the better. Most of us now share these kinds of photos with friends on a regular basis via Snapchat, WhatsApp and even Facebook if we’re feeling brave. If you’ve got a smartphone, you can expect to see half a dozen gurning faces every day.
The craze has trickled down from celebs. Although the majority of them do make sure their hair and make up is flawless before taking a snap, it’s still nice to see A (though most often B or J or Z) listers not taking themselves so seriously. Here’s Ricky Gervais:

Jervais loves his bath uglies

The toothless simpleton

But just why do we feel the need to share these ugly photos of ourselves? Well, we’re bored of seeing girls pouting and guys flexing.  It’s no longer as acceptable to share ridiculously flattering selfies of yourself on Facebook and Twitter unless you’re under the age of fourteen. It comes across as vain and more than a little self-obsessed.

We know exactly what our friends and acquaintances look like and sadly it’s not quite what their selfies would suggest. Camera angles can make the most unfortunate looking person appear vaguely attractive.

The puffafish

The cross-eyed pig nose

The corpse

Who needs fatbooth?

The fatbooth

The uglie is the new selfie. It allows us to maintain the addictive relationship with our front facing camera without appearing horribly vain. In fact, they allow us to relax and have fun. You don’t have to pull one of those self-concious fake smiles. Stick your tongue out, stick it up your nose, whatever. Anything goes with uglies.

It’s a virtual statement: ‘Hey, look at me. I look like shit and I really don’t care’.  It signals that we do not need likes and compliments on unrealistically attractive images of ourselves to feel secure.

The ugly sisters

The crybaby

photo (11)

The odd couple

The rah-gly

Uglies are also a backlash against the pretentious, perfect images taken with Instagram. Whilst Instagram is all about pretending to have a perfect little life prancing around a pool and making cupcakes, an ugly face sent via Snapchat shows us as real, down-to-earth people, who don’t mind pulling a face in a manky dressing gown.

A study by Dan Zarrella, HubSpot’s social-media scientist, showed that tweets containing Instragram links are 42% less likely to be retweeted than tweets without photos. Instagram photos of you half naked with your cat/dog/kitten/any inanimate object aren’t fashionable or arty, they’re just plain annoying.

• Farley

This article is wank, sort it out

Heard something newsworthy?

By , Newcastle Editor on

Meet the guys performing in Fight Night

Here’s what they look like before they break their nose

By on

There is a huge fire in the city centre

It was on Cross Street

By on

Fittest fresher: The girls final

Vote for the winner of Newcastle’s Fittest Fresher

By , Chief Reporter on

Confessions: What was your worst Tinder date?

‘He told me he had slept with my ex a few weeks earlier so it was literally a date from hell’

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s more important: Face or body?

Pretty face, average bod > average face, fit bod

By and on

What is the best all-girls school in the country?

‘Millie can I borrow a tampon?’

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life