Students of New Hall left without hot water or heating

The issue may not be resolved until Tuesday

Once again, New Hall is facing issues with water after a reported gas leak has left the entire accommodation with no heating or hot water.

Residents were noted on Sunday morning by an email which stated: “Hot water and heating is temporarily not working”.

Duvet life

Despite the email promising engineers are “making every effort to rectify the situation”, hot water has still not returned and for some blocks, the issue will not be resolved until Tuesday.

Therefore students are expected to spend three days without showering and with no means of heating – despite paying £137 a week to live in the Halls.

The email sent to New Hall students

This is not the first time New Hall has experienced issues with water. Last month, Ryton block experienced a huge shortage of water due to a blockage in a pipe, which was an issue that had been gradually getting worse and, according to a cleaner, had been present since the halls were built.

A rep at New hall has created a petition for New Hall students to receive compensation for the latest problem, which has been shared to the accommodation’s Facebook groups and reads: “Quite frankly it is ridiculous for them to think that we can go 2/3 days without hot water to do our washing up and have showers and we deserve compensation”. The petition already had 375 supporters by 5:30pm on Monday evening.

The petition which was shared to New Hall’s Facebook group

A resident of New Hall, Neo, said: “It’s a little ridiculous. For £137 a week to live in the accommodation for 44 weeks, you would think that things like this wouldn’t be an issue, especially since this part of the campus’s housing is pretty much brand new.

“But I get it, things like this happen and there’s not much anyone could have done to prevent it. We just have to deal with it and hope it doesn’t happen again.”

A further email has since been sent to students apologising once again for the gas leak that caused the lack of heating and hot water and offering students free use of the campus’ Sports Centre’s showers.

Although some blocks will  have their services restored this evening, others will remain chilly until Tuesday – including New Hall’s unluckiest block, Ryton.