Several St Andrews students have been tested for coronavirus after overseas travel

Following travel abroad, several students have been tested for Covid-19

Several students at the University of St Andrews have been tested for the Covid-19 virus following travels overseas, although all have tested negative.

According to Fife Today, there are no cases confirmed in the town, either.

Students have therefore been advised against traveling abroad during the break. Any students who choose to travel to areas with cases of Covid-19 may be required to self-isolate and quarantine themselves for 14 days following their return to the Fife coastal town and will not be able to attend lectures and tutorials.

On the 2nd of March, Scotland reported its first confirmed case of Coronavirus in Tayside, not too far from St Andrews, following the patient’s trip to northern Italy. The virus has been rapidly spreading across Asia and now Europe since the beginning of this year with the number of cases rising from 30 to 115 overnight.

A statement on the University’s website reads: “We have urged all students and staff considering travel overseas in the near future to carefully consider the risks, the rapidly changing nature of the spread of infection in the UK and other countries, and the implications on their personal and professional circumstances should they be required to self-isolate on their return.”

Students and families can keep updated on Coronavirus news through the University’s news platform.