A yuletide year in review

As the year draws to a close (phew!) and we begin to think about New Year’s resolutions, exams and inter-semester getaways, the stand looks back at the last (and our first) […]

As the year draws to a close (phew!) and we begin to think about New Year’s resolutions, exams and inter-semester getaways, the stand looks back at the last (and our first) semester. Below are the most popular articles of 2011. Enjoy!

1. St Andrews: the worst place to be single

This anonymous cry of frustration clearly hit home with St Andrews students as it has so far received over 6,000 hits. Hopefully the writer has found someone to be with as the clock strikes twelve on New Year’s Eve.

2. Conservative Society burn Barack

The news that a group of idiots had burnt an effigy of the President of the United States spread quickly from the stand to the BBC, to newspapers and websites all over the world. No more of that next year please!

3. Jamie Ross: Tesco Girl

Tesco girl is now famous and Jamie is being hunted down by her boyfriend.

4. LIVE UPDATES: Hurricane Bawbag

The stand‘s coverage of Hurricane Bawbag brought up to date news on travel and damage during the storm. After a while, it became clear that nothing much was happening so we added coverage of that evening’s entertainment.

5. Nandos nosh comes to St Andrews

The news that the South African supplier of spicy Chicken is coming to St Andrews elicited reactions of overwhelming joy, although some clearly would have preferred to see a less corporate addition to Market Street. As far as we’re concerned, bring on 2012!

Written by the understand team
Photo: © SJ Photography