Northumbria University has been awarded University of the Year for 2022

The university has placed first in the UK in the Times Higher Education Awards

Northumbria University has won the “University of the Year” award for 2022, often regarded as the “Oscars of higher education”.

The uni has become the UK’s first research-intensive modern university and announced the news of their win earlier across social media and via email, sent to current students and graduates.

The University was assessed using the Research Excellence Framework (REF), a measure of the quality and strength of research across UK universities. Northumbria Uni recorded the biggest rise in research power of any UK university for the second time in 2021 REF results, moving up 27 places to 23rd place, having previously risen to 50th in 2014 from 80th in 2008.

Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson, Chancellor of Northumbria University said that it was both the extraordinary people and the level of ambition which stood out to her when she was invited to take over the role.

She said: “Wining the THE University of the Year award recognises these qualities for all to see. It is amazing to be part of an institution where the vision has become a reality and I congratulate everyone at the University.”

Vice-Chancellor and Chief Executive of Northumbria University  Professor Andy Long believed that it was more than the uni’s focus on research that led to the monumental win.

He said: “To be shortlisted for such a prestigious and internationally-recognised award was a remarkable achievement in itself – to go on and win is a true milestone in the university’s history and in the work of many of my outstanding colleagues.

“Our ambition is to give all students with the potential and ability the opportunity to benefit from a Northumbria education. Winning this award shows that the education we give our students is enriched by research – but I genuinely believe what sets us apart from others is that 40% of these students are from traditionally low-participation backgrounds. Along with all our students, they learn from researchers and academics, participate in research and co-create knowledge.”

Newcastle University was shortlisted alongside Northumbria University for THE University of the Year Award 2022, evidence of the combined strength of both the city’s universities and the first time outside of London that two institutions from the same city have appeared on the same category for the award.