Newcastle ranked as the fourth most sustainable university in the UK

We’re glad to hear we’re doing our bit for the environment

Newcastle University has been announced as the fourth most sustainable university in the UK.

The 2023 QS World University Rankings for sustainability were released on the 26th of October with emphasis on social and environment sustainability in higher education across the globe.

The rankings included 700 universities and look to review how universities address the environmental and social challenges we face in today’s society.

The positions are determined by two indicators: environmental sustainability measures and social impact measures.

Newcastle University placed 18th overall in the world rankings, topping prestigious institutions such as the University of Cambridge and Harvard University.

Professor Richard Davies, Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Global and Sustainability, Newcastle University, said: “Our sustained performance across a variety of rankings in this area is a testament to the hard work and passion of our colleagues, students and our partners.

“They highlight our efforts towards making lasting change through our research and our teaching, as well as our daily practices. However, we are not complacent and recognise that we all need to push further and faster.”

Breaking down their results further, they were classed 20th in their environmental impact rank and 31st in their social impact rank.

Environmentally, Newcastle scored well on their “sustainable research” with 92.5 out of 100. In addition to this, from the social perspective they boasted a score of 97.4 out of 100 on “life quality”.

Areas for improvement included “sustainable education”, in which they could only muster a score of 67.1 out of 100. They also scored respectively low in “impact of education” with 65.3 out of 100.

Considering performance by nation, the UK ranked 2nd in the top 100 and QS ranking manager, Andrew MacFarlane, applauded the efforts by UK institutions, saying: “(there was) an impressive research focus that speaks to many of the UN’s SDGs and evidence of transparent governance.”

Read the full ranking list here.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.