Image may contain: Stage, Crowd, Audience, Person, People, Human

Here’s everything that happened at the RAG fashion show 2018

A night of success and dresses to impress

The RAG Fashion show took to the runway in Newcastle University’s SU last term.

This is a yearly fashion show which showcases some big name brands, and also the universities own societies, not to mention the stunning models. Brands such as Topshop, Topman, Lipsy and Doc Marten were featured in the show. RAG also teamed up with Newcastle's Fashion Society.

The fashion show raises money for different charities each year and this year raised money for Friends of Conservation, Women for Women International, Coppafeel and Oddballs.

Image may contain: Person, People, HumanImage may contain: Person, People, Human

The RAG team collaborated with other societies such as Women for Women and Newcastle Uni Boob team, who each had their own stalls as a way of raising money for their charities.

Their stalls featured glitter, temporary tattoos, boob stickers and much, much more – what could be better.

Image may contain: Person, People, HumanImage may contain: Parade, Crowd, Troop, Team, Soldier, Military Uniform, Military, Army, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora, Shirt, Clothing, Person, People, Human

We spoke to Jordan Scudder about organising the show. He was the presenter for the fashion show in both 2017 and 2018, and in the previous year a RAG committee member.

The two hosts kept the audience laughing the whole way through, with their energy and enthusiasm.

Of course, the show was a complete success, raising a lot of money for the charities and entertaining over 100 people.

How long does the show take to organise?

The show takes a lot of organisation, we hold auditions for the models and also have to get a lot of external brands involved which takes a lot of time.

What were the biggest obstacles you came across when organising the RAG fashion show?

Getting the brands involved can be really difficult, it is probably the hardest part. We make a letter and give it to every clothes shop we can think of. All the clothes are borrowed and we have to return them the next day. It can be so difficult because sometimes the manager says it is against company policy, or they never get back to us. A lot of people say they are really keen, and then they just ghost us. It is really tough and involves a lot of work, but it does all pay off, it is a matter of perserverance, time and a lot of rehearsals

Image may contain: Theater, Room, Interior Design, Indoors, Cinema, Person, People, HumanImage may contain: Stage, Person, People, Human

All the hard work definitely paid off, the show featured brands such as Burton, Doc Martens, Lipsy and Topshop. It also showcased local brands such as The Yesterday Society (a vintage boutique based in Grainger market) and also clothing made by students from The Fashion Society. From floral handbags, to homemade dresses and paisley jackets, the clothing looked amazing on stage and it was clear how much time had been taken in creating these different looks.

Image may contain: Dance Pose, Dance, Performer, Musician, Musical Instrument, Music, Leisure Activities, Person, People, HumanImage may contain: Party, Person, People, Human

The highlight of the show, for most, was Newcastle's first ever own drag catwalk. The models looked absolutely amazing, and they put on a great show. With RuPaul's drag race being the talked about show of the moment, what a better way to celebrate than to have their drag catwalk, the audience loved it. The underwear walk was also hugely celebrated by the audience and the models looked absolutely amazing.

Image may contain: Performer, Flamenco, Leisure Activities, Dance Pose, Dance, Person, People, HumanImage may contain: Underwear, Lingerie, Clothing, Person, People, HumanImage may contain: Underwear, Clothing, Person, People, Human

Newcastle University RAG Fashion Show was certainly a night to remember. It was a night of entertainment, booze and fashion and all for a good cause – what more could the audience have possibly asked for? Make sure you take a peek at the 2019 show.