Newcastle Christmas lights switch-on is tonight

Christmas is coming

Newcastle’s Christmas lights will be turned on tonight at Grey’s Monument.

The switch-on party will begin at 5:30pm, with the actual switch on taking place at 6:30pm. The event is free to attend.

Light it up

This year the lights will be switched on by Steve and Karen, Metrocentre Radio breakfast hosts who are also hosting the event.

The Metrocentre Radio listeners’ competition winner, two-year-old Harley Charlton will also press the button to switch on the lights.

The Metrocentre Radio stage, where most of the events will be taking place

Special guests at the switch on include Lord Mayor Cllr Ian Graham and Newcastle United defender Steven Taylor, who is representing the testicular charity Ballboys.

The charity aims to deliver education about testicular cancer through the means of sport and humour.

Additional activities will also be taking place across the city centre from 4pm until 8pm, including performances by the internationally acclaimed street theatre group Spark! who will be performing at Eldon Square.

There will also be performances on the Metrocentre Radio stage (on Grey Street) by former X Factor competitor Abi Garrido, North Road, and the cast of the Tyne Theatre and Opera House production of Aladdin.