What do you think of Jeremy Corbyn and the scrapped tuition fees?

Most of them love it

Jeremy Corbyn has been the front-runner for the Labour party’s leadership for a while now, and with the election results coming through today, he’s expected by most to take the reins of Labour leader.

At a recent Q&A session in Newcastle, he claimed he would support the scrapping of tuition fees. “Education to me is the value of learning as well as the value of qualifications and how we bring up children is very important. My generation had access to university. This budget has taken away the last little bit of that. By raising corporation tax by 0.5% we would be able to pay for student fees and not have students leaving university with these massive debts. It seems to me a price well worth paying and something we should look at.”

We asked various people at Newcastle University students their opinion’s on Corbyn and his plans for getting rid of tuition fees.

Frankie Reid, History and Politics

What do you think of his plans to scrap tuition fees?

“I think raising corporation tax to fund the scrapping of tuition fees is a really good idea. It is vital to make both the richest individuals and the richest organisations pay in the most to society in order to create equality of opportunity. I think Corbyn has deep-rooted principles about the importance of education and its availability to all. This will help him gain the trust and respect needed for implementing such policies, should he get the chance.”

Is he the favourite for the Labour leadership? If not, who is?

“Yeah, I think Jeremy Corbyn is exactly what both the Labour Party and British politics as a whole needs, particularly after years of growing apathy and mistrust of politics and politicians. Corbyn’s policies are a significant break away from the Establishment line on austerity and privatization that has been presented to the public as the only solution to Britain’s financial situation, and his stance on social affairs is really refreshing.”

Would he make you vote Labour? If not, why not?

“Yeah. I know that Corbyn would be unlikely to win an election should one be called tomorrow but, in five year’s time and if Labour does well in opposition, he could lead the Labour Party back into Number 10.”

Why is his stance on erasing student fees so politically popular in your opinion?

“The issue of tuition fees has been hugely important to the electorate since Nick Clegg’s infamous broken promise in 2010/11. Corbyn’s idea to scrap university fees has attracted support partly because of recent plans from the government to remove the cap on how much universities can charge, as if it weren’t expensive enough already.”

Ellie Lloyd, Politics

What do you think about his plans to scrap tuition fees?

“Sounds like a traditionally left-wing idea really. It seems like he cares more about the personal effects of politics as opposed to focusing purely on the economics.”

Is he the favourite for the Labour leadership, if not, who is?

“I didn’t register to vote for the Labour leadership cause I’m a member of the Greens but if I had to he’d definitely get my vote, my hope of a Labour/Green coalition could come true then.”

Again, I couldn’t really vote for him cause I’m a member of the party but I like him the most.”

“Erasing student debt is gonna appear massively popular because it’s students who are the most active on social media and a really easy issue to locate and say you’ll change. The economy, the NHS and military funding are much more divisive among similar demographics so addressing students via student fees/debt is obviously gonna appear hugely popular. He’s also really popular on Facebook and twitter so that must help.

Will Brennan, History and Politics

“I agree with him there, education should be a right and not a privilege. An educated workforce pays for itself in the long term as well.”

Is he the favourite for the Labour leadership, if not who is?

“Corbyn will win, he’s most in tune with the grass roots. Most of the Labour activists I know love him and we all find it amusing when we hear someone as divisive as Tony Blair try to discredit him.”

“I didn’t vote for him though; cause I didn’t register but yeah, I like him.”

“I think Jeremy Corbyn is one of the most genuine politicians out there. One of the few that I know is there to make a difference.”

Henry Bradshaw, History and Politics

“That’s very interesting. I think the whole nature of ‘clamping down’ on tax avoidance and increasing corporation tax, despite being popular with voters; Labour voters in particular, is just political guff and it probably won’t come to fruition. I do understand that providing free tuition is a nice idea, but the way that he seems to be planning on bringing it about will end in disaster. For real money to be raised in government, taxing people more will do neither the public, nor the treasury as much good as saving money from the excessive waste.”

“He’s definitely the favourite and supporting the abolition of tuition fees; an extremely emotive issue, will undoubtedly appeal to a majority of the electorate.”

“I still wouldn’t vote for him however. I cannot agree with his stance on the EU and his plans to renationalize the railways. He’s more idealistic than realistic in my opinion.”

“Again, he’ll win votes because it’s an extremely emotive issue which will garner the support of a large portion of the electorate.”

Joey Tilbury, Combined Honours

I like it to be honest. Don’t have a clue whether it would be feasible or not but I know I like the sound of it.”

“I like Corbyn, but you can probably write off the next few elections for Labour if he gets leadership. I didn’t vote but I probably would of voted for Andy Burnham.”

I’d probably vote Labour anyway, regardless of who got the job.”

“I think it’s popular because it not only reduces student debt significantly, but it also get’s the unpopular corporations to pay for it. Kinda like a Robin Hood story.”

David Bigham, Politics

“I love the idea of free tuition. Absolutely love it”.

“Of course Corbyn is the favourite, I only wished I’d put a bet on him when he was at 100/1 to win. I used to really believe in Andy Burnham but then I learnt more about Corbyn and realized that the rest were all the same really.”

“If any of the others won my Labour membership card would go straight in the bin. Corbyn will not only make me vote Labour but he’d make me knock on doors and give everything for the election effort.”

“Not only does it take away the huge millstone of debt that students leave uni with but it also creates a better, more educated, well rounded society that enables everyone to fulfill their aspirations with much less worry.”      

Matt Busby, Politics

“I love it, people should be able to pursue subjects or job opportunities without crippling themselves with shit-loads of debt in the process.”

“Yeah I think he represents my political beliefs really well. He also comes across as a person who would be willing to work with progressives which is something that the Labour party has lacked of recent.”

“Yeah, I voted for him to become Leader and I’d probably stick with him in 2020 if he gets in.”

“Everyone benefits. Young people like it obviously but parents will like the fact that they won’t have the burden of their kids having £50,000 worth of debt by the time they’re 21. He’s doing well from it because A: he’s the only one offering it and B: he’s tapping up old Lib Dem voters who voted for Clegg in 2010 on the basis of no tuition fees.”