‘Very Silly’ Newcastle Prof late for court

The Newcastle university professor accused of vandalizing twenty four vehicles appeared (late) again in court.

stephen graham vandalism

Stephen Graham, of Lansdowne Gardens, Jesmond, was forced to appear having initially failed to appear to face charges of criminal damage.

The highly regarded Professor

The 47-year-old, currently a specialist in cities and urban life at the university, failed to arrive four his court date citing that he had teaching commitments to fulfill that could not be changed. The Tab would like to thank him for his priorities.

District Judge, Stephen Earl, declined Graham’s Solicitors request for a change of date claiming that the defendant should be treated the same as any other.

Judge Earl commented on his late arrival: “I’m not sure that the public would understand if I excused him. There is no good reason that he can’t be here.”

The university lecturer was arrested on August 27 in relation to an estimated £17,000 worth of damage to vehicles in the area surrounding his Jesmond home. Damage to cars is reputed to include the scratching of slogans such as “really wrong”, “very silly” and “arbitrary”.

‘Really wrong’…Prof Graham stands accused of vandalising 24 cars

The amounted cost of damage inflicted has resulted in the case being seen by the Newcastle Crown court. Professor Graham has been ordered to appear for a committal meeting before magistrates again on November 14.

Newcastle University has declined to comment as the court case is ongoing.