Professor Paul Boyle will be the new Vice-Chancellor

Former St. Andrews Head of School appointed University of Leicester Vice-Chancellor.

Social Scientist and former St Andrews Head of School, Paul Boyle, will be the new Vice-Chancellor from the start of the new academic year.

Following the University Council the decision was made for Professor Paul Boyle to take over from Sir Bob Burgess after 15 years of service to the university.

Professor Paul Boyle is International Champion of Research Councils UK, Chief Executive of the Economic and Social Research Council and President of Science Europe. His past accomplishments also include being Head of the School of Geography and Geosciences at the University of St Andrews.

Boyle said the university has developed a strong reputation over the past 15 years as well as “delivering world-class research and providing teaching of the highest quality” and that he is “looking forward to working together to build on the University’s successes over the coming years”.

Professor Burgess offered much praise to Professor Boyle, saying: “He is a distinguished social scientist who has much to offer the University locally, nationally and internationally.  I wish him every success in developing the University of Leicester and its work”. Professor Boyle will act as Vice-Chancellor Designate during September and begin his role as Vice-Chancellor, taking over from Professor Burgess from 1st October.

SU Education Officer, Michael Rubin, told The Tab: ” It’s really positive the university involved students so much in the decision and I’m entirely confident Paul will be a fantastic VC and continue to do things in the best interests of students.”

Engagement Officer, Sean Kelly-Walsh, echoed that sentiment, saying: “I was really pleased that the University listened to students as much as they did. There were a lot of top candidates and Paul will be a wonderful VC.”

SU President, Dan Flatt, was part of the interview panel, whilst the other Sabbs got to meet the final four.

Professor Burgess steered the University of Leicester into the top twenty in a number of league tables and became knighted in 2010 in recognition of his hard work and commitment to the university.

The knighthood also recognised his other career achievements.