Christmas Markets: Why Germany is better than Leicester

Christmas markets are really popular in the UK, but why are German markets better?

Let’s face it; the Christmas markets are one of the only occasions this Winter where we are willing to stay outside for hours, drink, shop and be merry, without retreating  to the warmth (in the lucky peoples cases) of our student rooms or the nearest bar.

Christmas markets are everywhere, from Nürnberg to Salzburg; Birmingham to Chicago. Though they’re often quoted as being ‘German,’ Christmas markets are now global. There are a whole load of  reasons why German Christmas markets are so popular, here are just a few.

With a plentiful selection to choose from; Tollwood, Munich’s ‘alternative’ market seemed like the best option, and it wasn’t disappointing at all!

Not your average Christmas tree!

As if that wasn’t enough of an ‘alternative’ festive greeting, Cafe Bad Connection, a caged coffee shop was. I’m not sure how this says Christmas but who really cares…

Inside the market tents, anything and everything was on offer.Tattoo parlours were next to stalls selling ‘lucky’ flowers growing in tins, or a flavoured liquor stall placed directly next to fortune tellers.

But, the most worthwhile purchase of the day had to be the candles that looked deceptively similar to a refreshing glass of beer; a perfect present for someone who is having withdrawal symptoms from Munich’s notorious piss-up, Oktoberfest.

To quench that thirst, Glühwein was readily supplied outside. However, beware. Each Tollwood stand appeared to sell varying alcoholic beverages, with some being particularly potent.

Shock horror, If you are not a fan of mulled wine (and why aren’t you?!) then Baileys hot chocolate was always available, amongst Germany’s popular spirit, Jägermeister. Only to be taken on by the brave. The Germans don’t do mixing, no Red Bull allowed.

If that wasn’t enough, the entertainment was incredible. Fire dancers and a live band that called themselves ‘Danny and the Wonderbra’s’ were the most notable. Either the Germans are massively keen on their health and safety or one of the dancers had previously set themselves alight, as a man with a fire extinguisher sat in front of us ready to pounce the whole time.

‘Danny and the Wonderbra’s’ swing music had its very own tent, packed full of men and women, joyously dancing with a stein in one hand and a partner in the other. This offered the best atmosphere of the night and an ideal location to go after a drink (or five).

There is definitely a Christmas gift or experience here for everyone. Just bear in mind, If you’re thinking of coming over, be sure to save up any remainders of your student loan beforehand! But if that’s a terribly unlikely achievement (a reality for most of us), then simply enjoy the free entry and music as any other student would.

At least it’ll have a bit more going for it than this: