Lancaster University drops in league tables for the second year running

The Good University Guide now places Lancs at 12th in the UK

This morning, The Times & The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023 was released to the public, ranking Lancaster University 12th out of 132 universities in the UK.

12th is a step down from Lancs’ 2021 ranking of 11th. This places the university between Loughborough University and the University of Exeter. But true to 2022, we’re still beating York Uni, who placed 17th this year.

Lancaster was also ranked 93rd out of 116 universities in the Social Inclusion Ranking for England and Wales, also conducted by The Times & The Sunday Times. This takes into account non-grammar state school admissions, ethnic minority students, the black achievement gap, admissions of disabled, mature, and first-generation students, and more.

Five Lancaster subjects were ranked in the top five; Art and Design (4th), Communication and Media Studies (2nd), Linguistics (2nd), Physics and Astronomy (5th), and Social Work (3rd).

And six more subjects were ranked in the top 10; Creative Writing (6th), Drama, Dance and Cinematics (7th), Geography and Environmental Science (9th), Sports Science (6th), and subjects allied to Medicine (6th).

Natural Sciences came in 11th, last in its table, and Sports Science students at Lancs have the highest satisfaction rate, with students studying French with the lowest.

The whole league table, including details on how results were compiled, can be found on The Times’ website.

Related articles recommended by this writer