Lancaster students have already raised over £15,000 for Movember

University societies and clubs are tackling the challenge once again

It’s that time of year again, when people all over the country ditch their razors and grow out their beards and moustaches for Movember 2020.

Taking place in November each year, the idea is to go without shaving for the entire month – regardless of how much you may start looking like Gandalf – in order to raise awareness for men’s health.

This year, over 20 Lancs societies and sports clubs have signed up to the Lancaster University Movember challenge, and the group’s motivation is: “Uniting Lancaster University clubs, societies and students to raise money and promote awareness for men’s health!”

In the past, Lancaster University Rugby Union Football Club (LURUFC) have dominated the leader board, and have raised thousands of pounds to support this cause (£10,000 in 2019, to be exact) – and in classic fashion they’re at the top of 2020’s list too, having raised over £8,500 already. Lancaster University Hockey Club are in a steady second place, having raised more than £1,600.

There are 21 Lancaster clubs and societies taking part in this year’s challenge, including the Athletics club, Golf society, Lonsdale FC, Fylde FC, American Football, and Table Tennis.

As it stands, the campaign has raised over £16,000 – and we’re not even halfway through November.

The Lancaster University Movember Account was set up in 2019 to coordinate the university’s efforts in raising awareness of men’s health, and has been active once again this year in energising Lancs students to take on the challenge.

Credit: @lancsmovember Instagram

In order to get involved in the Lancaster University Movember challenge, or to donate, then you can access more information here.