Here’s how to report COVID-19 as a Lancaster Uni student

A definitive guide to the uni’s mix of support systems

Being a university student is proving difficult in 2020. Do we buy a bus pass? Do you know the slightest thing about Microsoft Teams? If online learning wasn’t enough, now you have to watch out for symptoms everywhere. If you do have symptoms, where do you report it? How do you report it? Do you need to tell the uni directly? No one really knows and all we get from the university is a confusing email about the different “methods” to make it “safer” for everyone.

Everyone is confused. In a recent email, Lancaster Uni explains a mix of different support systems available for students in case we experience symptoms or test positive. We are here to help you understand all the methods that you can use if feeling unwell. Use us as a guide of what to do, where to go and who to report it to. Don’t worry if you’re overwhelmed, the Lancaster Tab is here to make sure you have a solid guide to anything you need because, let’s be honest, the entire system in place is a tad confusing.

In-person sessions:

The in-person sessions involve student information hubs and, because access to different buildings across campus is managed strictly, there will be four hubs that will offer guidance on how to find rooms, facilities and transport information. Problems ranging from railcards to hidden disability lanyards can all be sorted here to anyone that needs them. The opening times are listed starting from 28th of September from 10am-4pm. 

Locations for these hubs are:

• Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (‘Lounge’ Space next to ‘Marketplace’, County South)
  • Faculty of Science and Technology/Faculty of Health and Medicine (Science and Technology building)
  • Lancaster University Management School (LUMS Hub)
  • Faculty of Health and Medicine 2 (Health Innovation Campus)

There are four hubs on campus where you can access in-person information and guidance

Email:

Information about reporting issues with aspects of student life such as accommodation, the library, IT or any sort of student services can be found within the student services directory. More general enquiries can be directed towards the Base in the centre of campus. The Base is always open to anyone experiencing problems. 

If you would like to email your individual departments then you can use your Moodle page to see who the convenors are of each module and can find their email from there. The University expects students to report anything if they are feeling unwell and are seemingly trying their hardest to make it safe for anyone living on or visiting campus.

If you cannot visit in-person then you can email them easily at: [email protected]

Telephone:

Bed-ridden and can’t even reach for your laptop to send that all-important email? You can also contact using the telephone:

The base: +44 (0) 1524 592525

Lancaster University: +44 (0)1524 65201

Microsoft Teams:

Basically, any information you need for your seminars, lectures and individual issues with things like timetabling should be directed to individual departments. Microsoft Teams can also be used to provide information or fix anything like module changes and coursework extensions. This may be an easier and less-formal method of reporting it to your tutors and coursemates because you’re using it for lectures and seminars anyway. They just need to know why you’re not attending and details about if you are isolating and how long for.

Connect Lancaster:

Within the email sent out, there was a mention of Connect Lancaster. This has been described as a “new and easy” way to connect with the university, and is the recommended method to contact the uni if you experience any symptoms. If you do test positive or experience symptoms, you can go on the iLancaster app or the website and report it there. This method has been put in place to ensure the safety of other students around campus. The email includes a link to the student reporting form and there is more information on what to expect and what to do when you experience any symptoms.

Everyone is in an awkward situation right now that is causing anxiety for everyone living on campus and travelling to and from to a handful of in-person seminars, labs and workshops.