Image may contain: Urban, Dome, Cathedral, Tower, Spire, Steeple, Church, Architecture, Building

Fire breaks out in Holborn, Maughan Library shut down

25 fire engines and 150 firefighters tackled the blaze

A fire broke out Saturday night at The Law Society Office in Holborn, central London, causing the Maughan Library to be shut down.

The London Fire Brigade were called amid reports of a fire at 10:40 pm GMT.

A large portion of the roof, and parts of the third, fourth, and fifth floors of the six-storey building were alight.

Twenty five fire engines and around one hundred fifty firefighters tackled the blaze, remaining at the scene as late as Sunday morning,

Approximately twenty-eight people left the building before the fire brigade arrived, and eleven more were evacuated from flats near the site of the fire as a precautionary measure.

There were no reports of any injuries, and the cause of the fire remains unknown.

Chancery Lane and the nearby Maughan Library have been closed off as firefighters confronted the blaze. King’s College London stated in a tweet posted early Sunday morning:

King’s College London made a statement on Twitter stating:

“Following a fire on Chancery Lane, we have been instructed by the Police to close the Maughan Library. There will be no access to the library until further notice. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused at this time.”

The library was re-opened again yesterday evening.