Breaking: Ten fire brigades attend blaze in Macadam building

Everyone has been evacuated

It has been reported that there are currently twelve fire brigades and ambulances attending a fire in the basement of the Macadam building right now.

King’s staff and students have been told to stay away from the Macadam and Chesham buildings until further notice.

Strand security told The Tab: “There are fire brigades attending a fire alarm activation at Macadam building at the moment.”

A KCL student spoke directly to the Tab to say “I just tried to get in to Macadam through King’s building and there was a security guard that wouldn’t let anyone through because the fire alarm had been activated, she said we weren’t allowed to go in through the main entrance either.”

A King’s College London spokesperson have responded: “A fire has broken out in the basement of the Macadam building but is now under control. The building has been evacuated. Fire services remain in attendance on site. King’s students and staff are asked to avoid the Macadam and Chesham buildings in Surrey Street on the Strand Campus until further notice.”

Update: 16.02

The Tab has been told emergency services are now beginning to leave. A student told us: “A few have left, someone is inside opening the windows.

“They said the fire wasn’t very big it was just hard to get into the place that it started in and I think people may have been in the office this whole time.

“Someone told me that they’re putting out the smoke, the fire stopped a while ago.”

Update: 16.30

On Facebook, KCLSU VP-Health Jack Haywood said: “The Macadam Building will be closed for the rest of the day due to an earlier fire in the basement. Please don’t come to any KCLSU spaces there today. Guy’s Bar and The Spit is open so head down there!”