Ed Balls appointed visiting professor at King’s

He’s swapped parliament for marking papers

conservative ed balls election KCL kings labour lecturer politician politics uni

Things are looking up for former Labour shadow councillor Ed Balls after taking up a role in KCL’s teaching department.

Mr Balls will work as a visiting professor to the Policy Institute, helping his students understand the Treasury and Economic History from 1945 until the present day.

The Rt Hon politician has taken on this new challenge after losing his seat in parliament in the recent general election, previously holding the high profile titles of Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families and Chief Economic Advisor to the Treasury.

He’ll be sharing and discussing his wisdom in the 2015/16 academic year, and expressed his delight and honour in “filling the gap” in his break from work with King’s.

He said: “I am impressed by the drive and vision that the leadership team at King’s have for the Policy Institute.

“It is filling an important gap and I am honoured to play my part in helping them succeed.”

Lead academic on the Treasury and Economic History since 1945 course Jon Davis has also expressed his excitement with working with such a figure as Ed Balls.

He said: “Ed Balls is a globally renowned figure, central for the past quarter of a century to economic governance in the UK and beyond.

“We are delighted that he has agreed to join us and help build our burgeoning teaching of government history.”

The reaction from students however has been a mixed one.

On the one hand, second year Economics student Andris Kobulniczky said: “To have such a huge name in the history of British politics and economics passing on his knowledge can only inspire us to work harder and achieve more.

“Despite not being born in England, I still know about the long-lasting influence he has had over our country, which says a lot about his knowledge that can hopefully effect King’s students in the right way.”

On the flip side, second year International Politics student Sam Nicholls said: “The appointment of Ed Balls is one of desperation I feel from KCL to launch itself as a top five university.

“This ‘celebrifying’ of academia does not improve results, won’t address student concerns and merely acts to distract from the vast inadequacies of this University.

“When the University administration is no longer leaving students without all the necessary tools they need to study, then and only then can I accept such behaviour as appointing failed politicians.”