Azeem Ward is coming to Somerset House Terrace this Thursday

Finally

Legendary Azeem Ward, a Californian music grad who became internet-famous thanks to his flute recital, is performing at KCL this Thursday.

What was supposed to be a small university performance blew up last May into an international phenomenon, drawing thousands of fans to watch his live-streamed recital. The flautist has now embarked on a UK tour to blow our minds in person.

Azeem will be performing with his DJ friend Underbelly, mixing flute and hip hop.

He spoke to The Tab King’s exclusively, and told us how excited he is to be in London.

“The UK has been really fun. So far my favourite place is Manchester. But London is exciting, especially because I will be playing alongside really good artists.

“I hadn’t heard about KCL before coming to the UK. I haven’t really looked into London colleges. Not really sure which ones are big, which ones are small.

Oh, there is UCL. I’ve heard it’s very good. But they never answered me when I contacted them.”

Just look at that cheeky face.

“I’m the type of person who likes to continue and improve what I do, […]so on tour I am writing on the train or on the bus, anywhere.”

The man in action

King’s students are eagerly anticipating the arrival of the man himself.

Ryushi Lindsay, a second year Liberal Arts student said  “I was browsing Facebook and there it was, the event, on top of my newsfeed. I just had to buy tickets, his skill with the flute is unsurpassed.”

The event is being organised by KCL Radio to mark the launch of their 2015-16 schedule.

Surya Elango, third-year History student and station manager of KCL Radio, and Rukaiyah Qazi, the deputy station manager, worked together to secure Azeem’s performance.

Surya told The Tab King’s, “Getting Azeem was much easier than I expected it would it be. Rukaiyah who did all the searching for artists for our gig works at Sofar Sounds so it was just like booking any other artist for her.”

“The conversation with him started on Facebook and then it blossomed into something where Azeem is now staying over at one of the committee’s houses for an extra few days, using their music room and being shown around London! We will definitely be getting his voice on one of KCL Radio’s jingles.”

Make sure to be at the Somerset House Terrace on Thursday October 1, where Azeem will bless us with his presence and be remembered for years to come.