Julian Markham House is the most dangerous hall at King’s

Moonraker is safe af

Julian Markham House on Walworth Road in Elephant and Castle has topped the crime statistics tables for KCL halls.

From September 2014 to July 2015, 181 crimes were recorded in the area around the plushy £192 per week Markham House.

For new residents at Julian Markham, that’s the daunting reality facing them ahead of the upcoming academic year.

We’ve ranked all the other KCL residences according to how many crimes were reported in the area. The crimes vary from bicycle theft and public order, to the more serious reportings of violent and sexual offences.

Julian Markham have found themselves top of the pile, whilst Moonraker inhabitants can thank their lucky stars for being, in comparison, safe and sound.

Walworth Road is hot spot for criminal activity.

The most common crimes in the Walworth Road area were shoplifting, theft, and violent and sexual offences, adding up to a combined total of 109 reported crimes.

Walworth Road also saw the highest total of crimes reported in one month, as July 2015 witnessed a staggering 34. This is seven more than any other month at any of the other residences.

Isle & Orchard and Stamford Street Apartments were not far behind. Isle & Orchard reported a total of 178 reported crimes Stamford Street crept close with 176 reported crimes.

Common crimes here included anti-social behaviour, coming in at 63 for the year, and the possession of weapons – the only residence area to have a crime of this type reported.

Talbot Yard area saw 90 thefts in one year.

Amy Lord, a second year and ex Stamford Street resident , was shocked at the result,she said: “I would never have thought Stamford were so high last year.

“Walking to the station, shops or crossing Waterloo Bridge, I never felt like I needed someone with me, and I never saw anything that resembled a crime. I hope it doesn’t put people off what was a great residence.”

Stamford Street high crime surprises ex resident.

Marginally better were Great Dover Street, with 130 reported crimes. In comparison to the bottom ranked three, Dover never went above 17 reported crimes for a single month, averaging in total 12 crimes per month, which is notably more impressive than Markham’s average of 16 per month.

Sexual offences high in Great Dover

Champion Hill boasts an impressively safe score of 80, with an average of just seven reported crimes per month – notably receiving just two reported crimes in December 2014.

This is a laughable 101 less crimes in one year than Julia Markham, and nine less crimes per month, despite only being 2 miles apart from each other.

Champion Hill was 2nd lowest in KCL residences.

Fresher Joshua Jones, who moves into Champion Hill this month to study History at KCL, was delighted with the results for his residence.

He said: “As a new member to Champion Hill, the statistics make moving from sixth form to uni much more comfortable.

It’s fantastic news, and enhances the reputation of Champion Hill even further.”

All smiles for Moonraker residents.

But the happiest of the KCL residents will be from Moonraker, who recorded just 74 reported crimes in the last academic year, an average of 6 crimes per month.

Remarkably they are the only residence to receive just one reported crime for one month -January 2015 for burglary.

In comparison to the other residences, the SE1 location never went over 11 crimes in a single month for the last academic year.