Why you’re an idiot if you don’t study abroad

I’m in Hong Kong and I absolutely love it

East Asia Hong Kong study abroad

Seven reasons why studying abroad can be the best decision you make at university.

1. Be spontaneous

Spontaneity taken too far?

Six months ago I was simply a boy from Nottingham, who was still coming to terms with living and studying in London. Now I’m in Hong Kong. In over a year I have transformed from a very immature English Boy, who still heavily relied on his parents to discipline, feed and clean him to someone who hesitantly applied to study and live alone in East Asia. I would advise anyone to do the same as this spontaneous choice was one of the most random but best life decisions I have made thus far. As you can see, since being in Hong Kong I have continued to make some more questionable impulsive decisions…

2. The Difference

Simon K. Y. Lee Hockey Team

The main thing I am learning from my experience is that studying abroad means adjusting yourself to a completely different environment. Anyone who wants a new fun challenge, I strongly recommend this path. I have moved from playing hockey for KCL to the University of Hong Kong, have attempted to pick up some Cantonese (somewhat terribly) and have even eaten both chicken feet and snake soup. I guarantee that if you study abroad you will experience alternative but exciting things.

3. ‘Gap Yah?’

Those of us who didn’t travel before heading to King’s are probably physically sick of hearing about friends who ‘found themselves’ during their gap year. Studying abroad is an opportunity not to miss out on this ‘gap yah’ feeling while also improving your academic development. In Hong Kong, you can break up your studying with trips to sacred temples or by seeing one of the largest Buddha’s in the world.

Bet you haven’t seen bigger..

4. Once in a lifetime opportunity

Whether it is for an entire year or just one semester this is an opportunity that would be ridiculous to pass up. At King’s you are given the chance to exchange to all parts of the world from Singapore to the United States. In my transfer I have not only had the chance to see Hong Kong, but it is now very easy for me to visit mainland China, the Philippines, Vietnam and many other locations which I would have never imagined myself. This is a great opportunity to explore parts of the world that you might not get again, so if not now, then when?

5. The People 

It is a chance to meet some of the most interesting people you have and may ever meet. In my first month in Hong Kong I have become very close to the locals in my halls that have given me a taste of a completely different social scene. They are sports fanatics who regard anyone in the hall (including me) as their ‘brother’. They also enjoy playing practical jokes on one another, with one boy called Michael being covered in kitchen condiments and then wheeled around in a trolley simply because he had recently got a girlfriend. Bizarre, but something I’m weirdly glad I experienced.

Oddest experience of my life.

6. Enjoy a break from King’s

Sorry did you say the Maughan?

As much as I do enjoy King’s College,  after a year and a half of my degree I needed a new challenge. For anyone considering study abroad, this is the perfect answer. Growing tired of the Strand, the Maughan and even Walkabout wednesday’s (impossible) then I would advise you to at least have one semester abroad, in which you will eventually return refreshed and ready for King’s again.

7. It’s Fun!

A night in Hong Kong leads to strange things

In my limited time abroad I have already had a fantastic experience. I would recommend it to anyone especially as often your grades aren’t even accounted for and the most you have to do is simply pass. This will give you even more time to explore and gain a true experience of your host nation. I promise that if you study abroad you will see unexpected things, be part of entirely alien situations and meet some wonderfully interesting people. It simply has to be done.

You don’t see this everyday