Here are 10 fun themes for your next Edinburgh flat party

Come on people, Barbenheimer was soooo last year

Flash forward to sixty years in the future. You’re relaxing in your rocking chair, looking back at your time at uni. After all this time, there’s a lot you might have forgotten (what degree did you even do again?) but there’s one thing you’ll always remember – and that’s a good party. For that you need three main things: lights, music and a whole lot of booze. But you don’t just want to throw a good party… you want to throw a great one. So without further ado, here are 10 fun themes to make your next flat party unforgettable… 

1. Neon  

Grab the glow sticks and cue Fluorescent Adolescent

First up, we have a neon or glow-in-the-dark theme. If you’re ready to invest in the production value, you can go from a standard flat party to Project X  lightning. Even with only neon face paint and a UV light, the photos will be iconic. But be warned: the cleanup might not stop until retirement x

2. Dress as your type 

An old classic. Whether you’re going as a rugby boy or a red flag (though they’re basically the same thing) you can have so much fun with this one. It can help bring on the much-needed realisation that your ex is less like your soulmate, and more like the rat from Flushed Away.  For those dressed in double grey trackies… we’ll send help x    

3. Movie or TV show characters   

If you don’t know what this is from, educate yourself x

So many options and so little time. Maybe you want to live out your Hogwarts fantasy or you’ve always wondered if you’d look good dressed as Shrek – the possibilities are endless. This theme allows for such creativity and some wild crossovers – seeing Winnie the Pooh get with the Joker is an image you’re sure not to forget…   

4. Through the decades 

Marilyn Monroe or Jojo Siwa? Both have stand-out fashion looks that fall under the ‘through-the-decades’ umbrella. Plus it lends itself to some great decorations. When Roaring Twenties flapper meets nineties grunge – it’s sure to be an interesting night. 

5. Inanimate objects  

You know you’re hot when you can pull dressed as an egg

Whether you specify a particular one or have it as a general theme, this can be quite a funny one. Who wouldn’t want to see all their mates dressed as a toilet? These kinds of costumes can be so comedic, so if you want to find out who makes the fittest crayon, then this is your time to shine. 

6. One item of clothing 

Ok saucy – I see you there… This is a cheeky theme which would definitely catch people’s eye. People could turn up in anything from onesies to boxers (if they’re feeling very bold). If you’re looking for a theme that’s a little risqué, then this is for you. Plus if you meet a future partner there, then it’s a great story to tell the grandkids… 

7. Glitter

Let’s hope glitter makes the Glen’s less disgusting

A glitter theme is sure to have everyone sparkling like the vampires in Twilight. From face glitter to sequin clothing, there are tons of options. Just grab a disco ball and you’re ready to go – though you’ll be picking glitter out of your hair for a week.

8. Dress as your younger self

This is a cute one. Simply get everyone to bring a photo of their younger self and come dressed as the outfit recreated. Sweet and silly, this theme will give you a glance into everyone’s childhood. Plus you can vote on who was the cutest baby – just be ready to be humbled.    

9. Duos and trios 

Who can resist a cheeky kiss, marry, kill?

There’s nothing better than a group costume. For duos there’s salt and pepper; Ant and Dec or angel and devil. For trios: sun, moon and stars; gold, silver and bronze or the Jonas Brothers. Plus, as quite an encompassing theme, this could be your excuse to rewear a classic fit – for those who looked so hot as Homer and Marge they couldn’t resist a round two. 

10. Rhyme without reason 

Finally, we have rhyme without reason. Old lady and Slim Shady; traffic cones and Game of Thrones; WHYNOT and Michael Scott; Ice Spice and Jesus Christ… the more nonsensical the better. This one’s an instant conversation starter; you can’t go wrong really. So partner up and find the Lightning McQueen for your pregnant teen. Does it get more romantic than that? 

Related articles recommended by this writer: