Cardiff University has officially postponed graduation ceremonies in 2021

They will be hosting a series of ‘Virtual Celebrations’ for the Class of 2021

Cardiff University has officially postponed graduation ceremonies for the Class of 2021. They have stated it was a “difficult decision”, and not one that the University “have taken lightly.”

They have also said that in-person Graduation ceremonies for both the Class of 2020 and Class of 2021 will occur in the Summer of 2022, “if it is safe to do so.”

Pro Vice-Chancellor for Education and Students, Claire Morgan, released a statement on 24th March, saying: “we have taken the difficult decision to postpone our 2021 in-person Graduation ceremonies again this summer.”

She continued, “our decisions reflect current public health and government advice, and are based on your wellbeing and the wellbeing of those closest to you, which remain our priority.”

Wales is currently still in Alert Level 4. With large scale events massively restricted, they “believe it is the right decision to postpone this year’s ceremonies and to provide you and your families with absolute clarity.”

The statement said that despite the successful vaccine programmes, the lack of certainty means the University “cannot safely deliver an inclusive event of the size and scale of our previous in-person Graduation ceremonies.”

Cardiff graduates in previous years.

In the mean time, there will be “a series of Virtual Celebration events” for students to mark their achievements with students, staff and family.

Claire Morgan ends the statement by thanking students for their “continued patience and resilience through what has been a challenging year”.