Breaking News

2021 Welsh Varsity cancelled

At least we have no chance of losing?

This year’s Welsh Varsity, the annual sporting event contested between Cardiff University and Swansea University, has been cancelled.

The one-week long sporting extravaganza usually takes place in April every year. However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the government restrictions, the event is cancelled this year.

The organisers broke the news on their website on 15th February 2021, “with great regret”.

In a news update directed at the students and the public, the organisers said: “With great regret, we announce that this year’s Welsh Varsity event will not take place, in order to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our students, staff and guests.

“We understand that this news is disappointing; however, the landscape for sport during the Covid-19 pandemic is ever-changing and the universities will endeavour to organise and support sporting activities, on a sport-by-sport basis, when Welsh Government and National Governing Body guidance allows.

“We’re grateful to our student community for their continued support and look forward to delivering a memorable Welsh Varsity in 2022.”

Welsh Varsity includes a series of 30 sports, with Men’s and Women’s rugby being the most popular. The event also includes hockey, cricket, squash, badminton, lacrosse, rowing, golf, basketball, football, American football, ultimate frisbee, netball, volleyball, fencing, and many more.

In response to the news, a third-year Cardiff University student told The Cardiff Tab: “I’m pretty disappointed but I expected it really. After going to varsity in first year I had planned on giving competing a shot in second or third, and now I won’t ever get the chance.”

Because of the pandemic, Welsh Varsity was also cancelled in 2020. Under normal circumstances, Swansea University – which marked its centenary in 2020 – was supposed to host the event last year.