Cardiff SU are giving out free period products for all who menstruate

The #PeriodDignity campaign is aimed at removing stigma around periods

Cardiff University Students’ Union have announced that their campaign, led by the Women’s Student Officers, is providing free period products to all who menstruate “to remove the stigma around menstruation and to ensure that dignity is held for those across the whole campus”.

This SU has stated that the campaign focuses on “the financial, educational, and sustainable side of menstruation” with their aim being to provide accessible and free period items, once they are open again, “to educate and empower all students to understand menstruation”.

In the UK, research has shown that the average person spends ÂŁ1,564.67 on tampons and pads in their lifetime, and a study by Plan International found that 1 in 7 people struggled to afford period products in the UK.

The SU has partnered with TOTM, an organic and ethical period care brand. This is important as their tampons, pads and liners are 100% organic cotton and certified plastic-free, to help reduce overall plastic intake. They tweeted “It’s vital that we do our best to protect our planet. With over 45 billion period products disposed of globally each year we can make a difference with small changes”.

This new campaign from the Cardiff SU and TOTM, has been supported by the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales in order to address these stigma issues, as well as to provide for those who cannot afford the products, at Cardiff University specifically.

Sophie, a third year Cardiff student, told The Cardiff Tab: “there are still ways we can help reduce the stigma, but it is amazing that the university is ensuring that these milestones are met”.

“Access to adequate, safe, and environmentally sustainable products for all people who menstruate, and suit all body types and needs, is so important”.

“Normalizing menstruation as a open topic within the university climate, is the key to helping people feel comfortable and shedding the shame of periods”.