The BBC Wales building is home to the latest Extinction Rebellion protest

The week-long take over continues

At 12:00pm on the 3rd September, over 400 Climate Rebels flocked to the BBC in Central Square to hold a “Tell the Truth” protest. The climate activists are targeting the broadcaster to demand that the BBC start to ‘Tell the Truth’ about the climate crisis, as well as seeking to draw attention to their lack of coverage on the climate emergency.

There is a large police presence overseeing the gathering and preventing the protesters from entering BBC Cymru HQ. According to a spokesperson for South Wales Police, “Officers are working to engage with protest organisers and attendees in order to remind them of their obligations under the current Coronavirus legislation…to Keep Wales Safe.”

The protests appeared to have remained peaceful, though one man has been arrested on suspicion of committing criminal damage.

The words “BBC TELL THE TRUTH” were marked onto the BBC building. Additional graffiti later appeared on Barclays bank as the protesters moved on to the next location.

The protesters gathered outside Barclays to highlight the bank’s $118 billion investment in fossil fuel companies. Whilst the bank claim they’re on target to be carbon zero by 2070, the rebels deem this to be too late and accuse the bank of ‘greenwashing’ their actions.

Some activists stripped off into their underwear and danced around the streets in front the bank to draw attention to these ‘naked lies’.

These protests come as part of the groups plans for a week-long ‘take over”.

Feature image: @XRCardiff Twitter

Related stories recommended by this writer:

There’s officially a chance for you to become Cardiff’s next star baker

Extinction Rebellion stage week long Welsh ‘take over’

Cardiff University to test students for COVID-19