Hackers take over Queen Street billboard to show anti-Islamic images and memes

4chan users claimed credit for the hijack

Hackers took control of the big billboard on Queens Street and replaced the advertising with memes, swastikas, and Islamophobic images on Tuesday evening.

Anonymous 4chan users claimed credit for the images, which varied from an Islamophobic message reading “WARNING. This is a Shariah controlled zone”, to Pepe the frog, a meme loved by the alt-right.

The billboard, which is above Superdrug, was switched off at midnight.

Among the images shown were also Donald Trump memes, a picture of journalist Peter Hitchens, and a “Big Brother is watching you” poster.

South Wales Police said they received a number of calls relating to the billboard and said they have “alerted the city council and will investigate any crimes which may have been committed.”

After the incident, posts began appearing on 4chan’s /pol/ board, with a related twitter account tweeting that users “had a little fun.”

Tom passer by, who witnessed the hacking tells The Tab Cardiff: “I was surprised and shocked when I saw the pictures. I thought it was some elaborate prank, but was sick to my stomach to not only discover they were real, but had also been on display for several hours.

“The Muslim community in Cardiff have worked hard to combat the stereotypes being propagated in the media. Someone needs to be held responsible for this.”

blowUP Media, the company who operate the billboard, have been contacted for comment.