Cardiff University student given posthumous award

Alice Byron passed away from leukaemia in July

Cardiff University student Alice Byron has been given a national award for her charity work, following her death in July.

The 21-year-old’s family accepted the Shirley Nolan Award for Special Recognition on her behalf.

The third year was diagnosed with a rare blood disorder called myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) last February.

Alice, who studied English Literature, raised a total of £28,000 for leukaemia research.

She worked closely alongside Cardiff Marrow in order to recruit more young people to the stem cell donor register, and also encouraged hundreds of people to join the Anthony Nolan register – a charity supporting those with blood cancer.

Alice’s mother, Sharon, said: “She wanted to make awareness to put more people on the register.

“She needed a donor and there wasn’t one immediately out there for her.”

Anthony Nolan chief executive, Henny Braund, said: “Her passion for our lifesaving work epitomised the ethos of our charity.

“I continue to find myself inspired and humbled by the dedication and strength of people like Alice.”

Her father also commented: “[The award] is bittersweet but it’s fabulous that she’s been recognised and we’re here to carry on her work.

“We are, and always will be, immensely proud of her immeasurable strength, courage, and love for life.”

If you are aged 16-30 and in good health, you can sign up to the Anthony Nolan register here.